Bighorn Origin - Wyatt’s extended mag box

Please keep us updated ! I'm in the same boat. I currently run the arc mags and am running them at 2.970 with is .020 off with 140 vld's. Wyatt's showed 2.990 for the prc box , the extra .020 would be nice
Wyatts are 2.990 as advertised, however if it is a stagger feed the overall length is somewhat less due to the radius in the corners of the box. Stagger feed bullet alignment is at an angle.

Gun is put together and functioning well. It's a little hard to load the mag, but it feeds fine.

Smith had to mill back side of receiver recess slightly and grind box down a touch.

Still needs a bedding job and stock paint....but I had to shoot it!

Attachments

• 62A0DCFC-38D1-4EFA-91EC-8545BE4F52BD.jpeg
    62A0DCFC-38D1-4EFA-91EC-8545BE4F52BD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 262
  • 302DC5FB-A1A2-46FA-B2C0-584C454F67AB.jpeg
    302DC5FB-A1A2-46FA-B2C0-584C454F67AB.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 261
I stumbled into this thread late but glad to see you found someone to make this work. I'm still trying to decide between the Bighorn Origin and the Kelbly Atlas for my .300 win mag build. I'll mostly be shooting 180s but having the ability to run heavy bullets for bigger game like moose or playing with loads that are way out there would be nice so the Kelbly is looking more appealing given they are designed to accept the Wyatt's extended box magazine already and forcing the Origin to work sounds tricky. I do like the controlled round feed and floating/interchangeable bolt heads so upgrading to the SR3 sounds tempting to me but can't justify the cost on a utility hunting build like this. Both actions will let me switch barrels so I can run .280 AI on the same action and stock but on the Kelbly, I have to buy a whole separate bolt which is a significant cost to factor in given that a second bolt head from Bighorn/Zermatt is only $125. It's not the end of the world just to run match grade factory ammo in the Origin or just keep my .300 win ag hand loads inbounds so maybe I'm thinking too much about all of this given it's a moot point on the .280 AI anyway.

Recent Posts