Bighorn Origin: Slickness or Smoothness

nksmfamjp

Looking at the $900-$1000 cip length long actions. Really need bolt or bolt head swap capability.

One thing that really matters to me is cocking smoothness and feed smoothness. Honestly, I've had some pretty crummy feeding factory actions and been ok, but cocking smoothness due to how it rotates the rifle really matters.

Compared to decent factory actions like Win 70 Supergrade, Tikka, Bergara, Christianson Arms.....how smooth will cocking be on an Origin?

Is there another action I should be considering before I lock horns on the Origin?

I just built a 338-06 rifle with an Origin action and very pleased. The cocking action and smoothness of the bolt is excellent. Better that my Weatherby, Remington and Cooper. I had Short Action Custom build me a 260 Rem on a Tikka T3 action that they "tuned". It is better and smoother than the Origin, as is my TL3 based rifle but price is greater as well.

The Origin I have to run with a little more authority than the tuned Tikka and TL3. Subjective but that has been my experience.

Working with SAC on a 6mm ARC build and Origin and TL3 are the front runners of the actions I'll use.

Jump up a little and look at the TL3 or SR3. Great actions. For the TL3 (not sure about the origin), once you measure the amount of cock on close you're experiencing, Zermatt can provide a properly measured cocking mechanism that will really smooth things out.

In the price range of the Origin, you could also look at the defiance tenacity or Gunwerks GRB, but both lack the capability to easily exchange bolt heads.

Lone Peak Arms Razor or Fusion... stainless or Titanium are known as some of the smoothest in the industry. They also sell switch out bolts to change cartridges. The Razor will run you about 1100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jump up a little and look at the TL3 or SR3. Great actions. For the TL3 (not sure about the origin), once you measure the amount of cock on close you're experiencing, Zermatt can provide a properly measured cocking mechanism that will really smooth things out.

In the price range of the Origin, you could also look at the defiance tenacity or Gunwerks GRB, but both lack the capability to easily exchange bolt heads.
They'll do this for the origin too, just tell them the trigger you'll use when you buy it.

I have two Origin short actions. Once they were worn in the cocking is very smooth. For the price I'm happy. Wouldn't mind grabbing a long action from them some day too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.