Bighorn action and proof prefits.

So I will assume since you have three of these chassis that you have had good luck with them.

I went back and forth for quite some time trying to decide between the 6.5x284 and the 6.5 PCR. Still not sure I am making the right choice but I suppose and can add the other later if i want. :)

Greyfox, have you been putting these together yourself with prefit barrels or are you having the standard barrels smithed?
I just viewed your photo - gorgeous rifle! It looks like it has a prefit barrel on this one – did you install it yourself?
Yes, I have had great luck Mounting pre-fits myself using the Savage nut/head space guages. My first MPA rifle with a Surgeon action had a gunsmith shoulder up a Kreiger barrel. My second, the 6.5x284, I mounted a pre-fit Criterion that was heads-paced using gauges.. I have had excellent success with other rifles using the Savage actions with pre-fit Criterion barrels, I'm currently awaiting delivery of my third MPA/BighornCriteruin which I will also mount myself.
Shown: comparison of my Shouldered 6.5x47 with s shouldered Kreiger and a Criterion 6.5x47 pre.fit I mounted. Not very thing about doing a prefit yourself is that I matched the headspace of shouldered and pre-fit the same which allowed my to use the same FL sizing dye.
E61BC173-0BC2-4C49-A6CA-E5B23FD810FD.jpeg 9643B692-B5DC-4944-A68D-D2F89DB9CCE1.jpeg

Greyfox; Great information and great shooting! I think I will go take a look at the Criterion barrels now. I noticed that you have the Lt Palma on the rifle in the photo, did you go with that contour on the other rifles also?

Last edited:
Greyfox; Great information and great shooting! I think I will go take a look at the Criterion barrels now. I noticed that you have the Lt Palma on the rifle in the photo, did you go with that contour on the other rifles also?
No. One rifle, my 300 yard egg shooter in 6.5x47 has a 30" heavy target, my PRS rifle that I'm awaiting delivery of the components will have a 26" MTU contour. I wanted s bit more weight then my current PRS tile with a 24" Med Palma. I really like the light Palma contour at 26" on my 6.5x284. It's a.nice compromise for LR stability, but manageable weight at about 4.25# and about .78"MD compared to the Sendaro/Varmint at .81"MD.
Typical performance of the Light Palma...200yards.
DF3CA72C-8DA8-4721-B2EE-6701625B9CFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.