Biggest woodchuck?

Before I moved from PA to Ohio a friend and myself would hunt chucks constantly. My favorite rifles for it were .204,22-250& a swift.
He always used a 300wm in rem 40x. Saw him kill 2 on the same stone wall (350yd ranged and not that far)
I loaded 135 smk's ( I believe now extinct)& 73gr imr4350. Never clocked it but I'm guessing pretty quick)
First chuck went air born and tore it apart second one just a pin hole in & out...Same distance and same load., guess that's why they are target tips and not hunting. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Just curious. Thanks

I shot one that was around 20 pounds when I was a kid. I shot it with an old Winchester model 55 .22 caliber. The bottom teeth were growing through the top lip. It was very old. Shot it Carrol County, Ohio.
My buddy grew up in carrol county ohio in the 70s. He tells a story him and his cousin saw a ground hog looked like a small bear. They walked down to its hole said they could have crawled down in it . We all laughed. You never know. He's the one that got me hunting in the early 80s. We're still hunting together. Hunting makes bonds that last .

A few Pa farm victims.

22/250, varget, 55vmax

Max attack....

Attachments

• 0702122024.jpg
    0702122024.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 89
My son and I have shot 296 'hogs over the last 4 years.
Biggest are in the high twenties from nose to tip of tail.
Here are some pics of an interesting situation-to me at least.
The hog was just poking its head out of the hole that can be seen in the first picture.
20 yard shot with a 1 1/8 oz load of #8, velocity around 1200 fps.
The wad stopped in its mouth. Other than pull the groundhog out of the hole, I did not mess with the pictures at all.

IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg

My son and I have shot 296 'hogs over the last 4 years.
Biggest are in the high twenties from nose to tip of tail.
Here are some pics of an interesting situation-to me at least.
The hog was just poking its head out of the hole that can be seen in the first picture.
20 yard shot with a 1 1/8 oz load of #8, velocity around 1200 fps.
The wad stopped in its mouth. Other than pull the groundhog out of the hole, I did not mess with the pictures at all.

View attachment 340302View attachment 340305
" SAY AH ...."

HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA !!!!

With regards,
357Mag

Wow. That's cool. I keep a couple boxes of 7/8 around for pests. I have used 7 or 8 on one woodchuck. It was behind my truck tire and I didn't want a bullet bouncing into my truck or around the yard. I got within 15 yards and let him have it. Now keep in mind, this is a full choke 20 ga. It made a mess of it's head. The rest was still edible and we ate it. I believe those shells were doing about 1400 fps and were stupid loud. I can't find em anymore, but they would reach out a solid 70-80 yards on pest birds. It's my favorite pest control shotgun. It does amazingly well with cut shells too. Shoots em into almost the same hole. Those will do a number on anything. I shot a dryer with one and it made a 12 ga sized hole. I opened the dryer and the drum was caved in and shredded. It's amazing how those things blow up when they go through something. They'd clear a room real good if shot through a wall or door.

Last edited:
Shot one once that I was convinced was well over 20 lbs. Very old animal - but it actually weighed just under 20. Western NY. The size increase from spring to fall is huge - they really pack on the pounds!

My two largest rock chucks. The first one was about 400 yards with a Nosler 55gr BT. The second one was at 583 yards with a 22-250 55 gr Berger Match Target Flat Base. I need to start carrying a scale in the field lol.
1645026602377.png

1645026658592.png

Recent Posts