Biggest woodchuck?

isaaccarlson

My wife and I saw the biggest woodchuck of our lives at the end of summer. At first glance it looked like a giant fisher, but then we realized it was a woodchuck. It was ginormous. The body was close to 3 feet long with the head. The tail was extra. We only saw it once as it crossed the driveway and nibbled some grass before going into the woods.

Has anyone ever seen one this big? Is it normal? We have shot smaller ones and yhey taste great, but we just stood there in awe of the sheer size of this one. We decided to let this one live unless it causes trouble.

Sorry, no pictures.

Yep! saw some really big ones in NE PA. The biggest one I ever saw was like the one you are talking about was chip shot at about 100yds or less. I set up in my shooting chair, squeezed the shot and MISSED! Can shoot them out to 500 with the .204, but never fails to miss the close ones. Too confident, too easy, too arrogant. There is no easy shot if you don't follow proper shooting practices.

I had 3 little ones living in the bank by my house the girls like to watch them but yea bad idea they grew up and chewed the wires into on the ac unit of my car

A friend of mine had a bran new two week old dodge a wood chuck got under the hood chewed the wires bad enough they totaled it from what i under stand what ever they use on there wires tastes like peanut butter i dont know about that

I shot one that was around 20 pounds when I was a kid. I shot it with an old Winchester model 55 .22 caliber. The bottom teeth were growing through the top lip. It was very old. Shot it Carrol County, Ohio.
Carrol County has some big ones, I've got two Amish farms I hunt there encompassing 2000 acres, have to haul my 4 wheeler there to get to the fields. some Carrol county big boys.

Attachments

• biguns.jpg
    biguns.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
My wife and I saw the biggest woodchuck of our lives at the end of summer. At first glance it looked like a giant fisher, but then we realized it was a woodchuck. It was ginormous. The body was close to 3 feet long with the head. The tail was extra. We only saw it once as it crossed the driveway and nibbled some grass before going into the woods.

Has anyone ever seen one this big? Is it normal? We have shot smaller ones and yhey taste great, but we just stood there in awe of the sheer size of this one. We decided to let this one live unless it causes trouble.

Sorry, no pictures.
Isaac -

Howdy !

I saw a huge one that looked like a small bear standing, when viewed @ 500yd through a 6.5 X 20; set on 20X.
It got down in the ditch bank, and was long gone by the time I drove closer for a look see.

My best friend shot a 21.5 lb er a couple years ago. Have heard of the occasional offender runnin' 24-25lb,
once fattened up just before hybernation.

Both of the critters I mentioned were residents of East Allen County, in NE Indiana.
" Soybenus Digestus, Gigantica "

With regards,
357Mag

A friend of mine had a bran new two week old dodge a wood chuck got under the hood chewed the wires bad enough they totaled it from what i under stand what ever they use on there wires tastes like peanut butter i dont know about that
Soy. That's what they used in the wire insulation. I guess a lot of newer vehicles have it and rodents love the stuff. Lots of problems.