Biggest Gun

What is the biggest gun you guys would use for shooting coyotes if you were saving the fur??

Thanks Anth

I would prefer something like a 223, but a 308 could be used if you used the green tip ammo
(Penetrator/non expanding) It will leave the same basic hole entering or exiting and very little
pelt damage.

J E CUSTOM

so any bullet with a green tip is for predators and wont expand??

The military loads are actually armor piercing bullets so they are made to punch a hole, not to expand. (Not to be mistaken for green plastic tips) the Military bullets are full metal jacket.

We use them on hogs and most of the time they go completely through. I pull some of them and use them on my 223 AI for even more penetration. the 308 green tips will go through a hog like butter.

J E CUSTOM

So then you could use a .300 win mag and it wouldn't really damage the coyote??

Well, it'd damage the coyote - that's the objective. But the less expansion you have in the bullet as it passes into and through the target the less damage it will do to the pelt. Therefore, it's more about he bullet than the caliber.

The more challenging question here might be "What is the smallest gun you guys would use for shooting coyotes if you were saving the fur??" ....

What is the biggest gun you guys would use for shooting coyotes if you were saving the fur??

Thanks Anth
This is a basic question that needs more detail. An opportunity to ask, learn, share. Not meaning an insult, just an opportunity to share and spread the knowledge. Because of how you ask the question, I believe you are new to shooting, is that the case?

"Biggest" is the part of the question to expand on. You could use a 20mm cannon with solid bullets and make one hole in and one hole out. You could use a 375 CheyTac with those copper solids and do the same thing. Both of those guns are really big. I think you mean "caliber" or "chambering" as in "223 Remington" or "308 Winchester" so I will continue on from that point of view.

so

In my opinion, the question that is more appropriate is "What is the smallest bullet" that is most appropriate for coyote at xxx yards.

With out question, the "biggest" general purpose is the "308 Winchester". Using Doubletap Ammo 308 Winchester 125 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Box of 20 which has the green tips you are talking about would be a good choice. It's pretty big for coyotes in general but it will work very very well.

After that there are OMG so many option and opinions. Most coyote guys seem to "22" caliber guns. The "22-250 Remington" is a very good and proven design for coyotes with a huge list of ammunition available Varmint/Predator | 22-250 Remington | Rifle Ammo

A Savage Model 12 in 22-250 Remington will do you very well for coyotes.

See what I want is a gun that will shoot coyotes deer long range and maybe some elk!! I was thinking of the 7mm mag
One chambering for coyotes that will not destroy the fur, for long range deer and elk? That's a lot to ask.

Do you hand load/reload?

If so, a 7mm Remington Magnum will do it but so will many chamberings. 7mm would not be my first choice for what you are asking.

Like would you suggest the .243 for just coyotes and deer?? And then I'll get a bigger gun for elk!
Will the .243 work for 1000+yd target shooting??
That is a much better idea that one to do it all.

If you hand load/reload there is one chambering that can do it, the 300WSM.

I would say read FearNoWind first post in my opinion that says it all. I have a 243 and love it but even with that a lot of bullets will make a real mess out of a coyote...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.