Biggest Bore...Heaviest Hitter...Long Range

If you are willing to handload and want a big cartridge magnum, there are a lot of improved cartridges to pick from. I ran a 338-378 Weatherby before the 338LM became the new rage.

With Remington Ultra options like the 338 Edge and improved 338 Norma Magnums, a 600 yard shot on most game animals is going to put them down pretty hard.

While it would work, I think it is generally overkill for most hunting situations contemplated in this thread.

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
280 AI

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
280AI

With that short of barrel" 30/06! OR at most 338 rem mag and U still will be waisting powder !

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask who you hunted with, and who you'll be hunting with in the future ? Feel free to pm me .
Awesome ibex. Thanks for sharing it.

I just want to say THANKS to everyone who has responded thus far. The feedback is extremely helpful. I may have included some contradictory information in my original post...please feel free to point out where I might be straying as positive feedback is how we expand our knowledge base.
I'm one of those guys who got hooked on short barreled big bores after buying my first .416 Ruger Alaska Guide Gun. This is my favorite rifle. I don't mind a 100 FPS +_ loss with a 20-22" barrel. 20" is ideal. I plan to bring one of my .416's down to 16.5" for brown bear work in the alders.
Again, I appreciate every response this received and will be making a decision soon to start yet another project with a gun too big and one too many.
If you like the Ruger family of cartridges and are already familiar with them then consider the 338 Ruger.

Knowing that you are looking to hunt Ibex helps a lot. With those parameters and everything that has been discussed and knowing that is the primary purpose I would go with a 300 WM. It is flat shooting and does well in 20" barrels. I would use a 1/8 or 1/9 twist and relegate it to the heavy bullets. Ibex are like hunt sheep in the states only tougher. You need something that can buck the wind as well as hit hard.

Not a 30 cal but my 7WSM shoots 180 Berger's like darts and has killed piles of animals from elk,deer,bears,mtn goats, bighorn and Dall sheep. Furthest kills have been 750 on elk.

Last edited:
300WSM with 190ABLR
I am really starting to like the ABLRs. Back them off the lands .050 or greater and those dudes will shoot. We have been doing a lot of load development with them. If they perform on game as well as they shoot they are going to be the stuff. For the OPs intended purpose the 190's should be just about perfect.

Hello:
Look at the Barrett Field Craft rifles 30-06 is as big as they go. My son has a 7-08 1-8 twist only weighs 5 1/2 pounds Talleys 1 piece rings and Swarovski Z-5 3-18 1" tube about 6 1/2 lbs

Hello:
I love my .338 lapua mag but no brake on a 22 inch barrel might just be a recoil problem I've never shot one without a good muzzle brake good luck I'm sure someone here can help for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.