Biggest Bore...Heaviest Hitter...Long Range

I have quite a few big bores that I use
as "follow-up" weapons when guiding in Alaska, but want to start hunting out of the country and yet still have a great all around rifle. I have a few .338's, a .300WSM in a Kimber, and a short barreled (20") 7mm WSM. I want a long range, short barreled rifle for hunting in Asia. Ibex...possibly others. The shooting opportunities can be in excess of 500/600 yards. I wanted something different in a long range sledgehammer..of that helps.

The Norma would be perfect for that...we were going to do Kuban Tur and Mid-caucus Tur in 2020--but COVID killed that so it will be 2022/20223 before that happens if at all now. I'll Post my midasian ibex...I missed an absolute brute of an ibex at 580 yards--but had a borrowed rifle, and it was windy and snowy--and sometimes you just miss....but got re done end the end.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 146
If you might find yourself hunting dangerous game, and I don't know the legal definition of dangerous there but assume it to be things with claws and teeth that might fight back.. then it is probably still true that .375 is the minimum legal caliber. A couple of posters have listed nice choices in 375.

You can find a CRF Winchester M70 on Gun Broker right now in 375 H&H Magnum, FYI. Suppose you could have a smith alter the barrel length to suit your needs. CRF has been favored by some for dangerous game due to perceived reliability; who needs a jam once tigger is ticked off?

Here's an article that might be helpful too.

https://huntinginafricasafaris.com/hunting-south-africa/five-best-calibers-for-hunting-africa/

Last edited:
Keep it simple, 300 Win Mag. Not right now but, generally speaking ammo is readily available if necessary and reloading is easy. lots of bullets, powders, brass, load data and tool choices. More than enough accuracy/energy for 650yds.

308 Norma Mag/30-338 Win, Won competitions at Camp Perry at 1000yds by people slung up and shooting off their elbows......yup, no bipod or pillows, just a shooting jacket, sling and elbows.

I see one issue... a lot of the cartridges recommended need at least a 24" and more likely a 26" barrel to take advantage off all that extra powder.

A 308 with a 20" barrel would be a good combo out to 600 178 gr ELDX.

How about a 300 WSM... see thread
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/short-barrel-20"-300wsm-question.262039/page-3

338 short barrel thread:

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Look at the 28 Nosler it's a heavy hitter!

I'm over here wondering where those of you who are shooting custom/non mainstream calibers that must be hand loaded are finding primers lol.

I've got a 23" barreled 300 wsm with a 165 gr grandslam bullet I'm shooting 3015 fps. I could get more velocity out of it but I'm shooting varget and I hunt with this gun from south texas to saskatchewan canada hence the extreme powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.