Biggest Bore...Heaviest Hitter...Long Range

AKGuide1

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

338 Norma terribly easy to tune and great in a 20-22 in barrel...I have 2 one with a 24 and one with a 22--about 45 fps difference in the two...id even go 20 inch barrel. Hits like a ton of bricks---no 30 can keep up. Shoot the 225 lazerhead increadbly flat at around 3000 fps, 250 berger at an easy 2800 accurate node and 285 ELD I get 2780 fps out of a 24 in barrel.

338 Norma terribly easy to tune and great in a 20-22 in barrel...I have 2 one with a 24 and one with a 22--about 45 fps difference in the two...id even go 20 inch barrel. Hits like a ton of bricks---no 30 can keep up. Shoot the 225 lazerhead increadbly flat at around 3000 fps, 250 berger at an easy 2800 accurate node and 285 ELD I get 2780 fps out of a 24 in barrel.
Ok, now we're talk'n Mr. Aoudad. I prefer a 20" barrel and willing to sacrifice a few FPS. Oh, and aoudad is on my short list.

Lots of cartridge options above 30 caliber with 180 grain bullets. Based on your request for recommendations of a 30 caliber and 180 grain bullets, kinda excludes the 338 with heavier bullets. Either I misread or need to read minds better. Not sure if the 338 would be a better choice at 650 yards or so. It's kind of a chip shot for even the 30 caliber non-magnums. I guess go big or go home right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.