Biggest Bore...Heaviest Hitter...Long Range

There is a lot of difference between "Dangerous Game" laws in Africa and hunting goats and deer-like animals in the Caucus region.

Clearly, there are a lot of options to consider in caliber choice here. Do you need an Uber-Magnum, not really. Personally, I tend to think of mid-range magnums.

A 358 Norma Magnum (yes 338WM necked up) would be a good place to start. If you look at EU and specifically Scandanavian hunters, the 358 Norma Magnum and similar cartridges have a long history of good performance in similar conditions (or a bit closer) on aminals as big or bigger than you are looking at.

Personally, I don't want a huge flash of unburned powder and the muzzle blast for no gain or very little gain you get with the modern "wonder" magnums burning large amounts of powder for more recoil and very little velocity gain in a shorter barrel.

338 Norma terribly easy to tune and great in a 20-22 in barrel...I have 2 one with a 24 and one with a 22--about 45 fps difference in the two...id even go 20 inch barrel. Hits like a ton of bricks---no 30 can keep up. Shoot the 225 lazerhead increadbly flat at around 3000 fps, 250 berger at an easy 2800 accurate node and 285 ELD I get 2780 fps out of a 24 in barrel.
Ok, now we're talk'n Mr. Aoudad. I prefer a 20" barrel and willing to sacrifice a few FPS. Oh, and aoudad is on my short list.
I'm running a 20" 300WM throwing 208amax at 2700. I used to push 190smk about 2850. I'd imagin you could sling the 180 pretty fast, fast enough anyways. If you need load data I can share some. Good luck.

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
If you're dead set on that short barrel you'll need a short cartridge case. Efficiency will suck and muzzle blast will be awful in that length if you use a relatively large case. Consider a longer barrel and you options for cartridge selection will grow. Additionally, distances less than 650 yds can be achieved easily with many cartridges. If 180gr class projectiles are your intent, the two cartridges that I have enough experience with to weigh in on are 30-06, and 300wm. You would be far better suited with the 06' in a 22" barrel which is common in factory rifles. Longer barrels give greater performance, but 22" is appropriate. I have killed enough deer at the ranges noted with a highly accurate 30-06 and 180 class bullets to be comfortable placing the combo on the "heavy hitter," list.(heavy enough) I run a variety of 185 gr bullets out of a 24" barrel a bit above 2800fps and the results leave nothing to be desired by me, with regard to accuracy and terminal performance.

300 Winmag or 300 Wby mag, 338 Federal, 338 Win, 340 Wby I didn't see where you mentioned it, whether you will reload or not, but the 338 Fed and the vast majority of these other rounds mentioned, you will never find factory ammo for. For commercial and or mom and pop availability, pretty much across the globe - 300 Win mag

@AKGuide , you mentioned a 20 inch barrel. With that in mind, the bigger the BORE, the more efficient burn with much less muzzle blast with that short barrel. I'm leaning towards the 338/358 Norma Mags (the newer Belt-less versions). I humbly think either would be ideal for you.

Check out B&M Rifles if you are looking for something "different." Their rifle packages are awesome, and the 9.3 B&M would have you legal ANYWHERE.

The Norma would be perfect for that...we were going to do Kuban Tur and Mid-caucus Tur in 2020--but COVID killed that so it will be 2022/20223 before that happens if at all now. I'll Post my midasian ibex...I missed an absolute brute of an ibex at 580 yards--but had a borrowed rifle, and it was windy and snowy--and sometimes you just miss....but got re done end the end.
Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask who you hunted with, and who you'll be hunting with in the future ? Feel free to pm me .
Awesome ibex. Thanks for sharing it.
Why not just get a 300 WM. It works easily out to 600 yards. I have done this without the funny named 300s. Unless you need a rifle that y have t reload for, get a WM and bee done
I just want to say THANKS to everyone who has responded thus far. The feedback is extremely helpful. I may have included some contradictory information in my original post...please feel free to point out where I might be straying as positive feedback is how we expand our knowledge base.
I'm one of those guys who got hooked on short barreled big bores after buying my first .416 Ruger Alaska Guide Gun. This is my favorite rifle. I don't mind a 100 FPS +_ loss with a 20-22" barrel. 20" is ideal. I plan to bring one of my .416's down to 16.5" for brown bear work in the alders.
Again, I appreciate every response this received and will be making a decision soon to start yet another project with a gun too big and one too many.

@AKGuide , you mentioned a 20 inch barrel. With that in mind, the bigger the BORE, the more efficient burn with much less muzzle blast with that short barrel. I'm leaning towards the 338/358 Norma Mags (the newer Belt-less versions). I humbly think either would be ideal for you.

Check out B&M Rifles if you are looking for something "different." Their rifle packages are awesome, and the 9.3 B&M would have you legal ANYWHERE.
.366" is not legal where .375 is required! ;)

I'm a 9.3x62 fan myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.