Biggest Bore...Heaviest Hitter...Long Range

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or larger. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

May want to change the 30 caliber to 30 caliber OR larger too.

His post is contradictory BUT the thread title says a lot as does other three comments in the OP.... reading comprehension

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
The .338 was the first thing that came to mind though I am hopeful for feedback. I love short barreled big bore rifles, and with a thumbhole stock I feel at one wit my gun,

Hello:
I'm looking for opinions on what caliber you would recommend for ranges out to 650 yards or so, using 180 grain bullets, or similar. It would be strictly for hunting, in a bolt action, and be delivered via a 20-22" barrel...without a muzzle break. The lighter the better , and no, recoil is not an issue. i'm looking for a heavy hitter in the .30 caliber class.
My personal choice given your parameters would be a 300 WinMag ammunition is readily available most everywhere except for right now possibly bullets range from light and fast to long and heavy and basically will take down anything in North America with the proper bullet . One of my favorite rifles is a 338 Lapua but it really shines at distances farther than you were talking about and barrel length in excess of what you describe

I'd be interested in hearing what you're pointing the gun at. I read something just yesterday on a Sniper's forum about ideal bullet weight for a given target.. I'd assume you know all that but more information may help us find optimum suggestions.

Whatever your project, sounds like fun!

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing what you're pointing the gun at. I read something just yesterday on a Sniper's forum about ideal bullet weight for a given target.. I'd assume you know all that but more information may help us find optimum suggestions.

Whatever your project, sounds like fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts