biggest 30 caliber possible??

smithjasona1978

Hi. This is my first post. I want to build a nice long range hunting rig. I plan to use either a Browning or a Ruger that I already have. Both are .300 win mag. But I want to go bigger. I understand that the bolt face will need work, but I have been doing research for a while now and still can't decide on the cartridge I want to use. I am interested in the.30/375 Ruger, but I can't decide. So my question to all of those more educated souls than I is, what wildcat cartridge has the absolute largest case capacity that will function in a standard length action rifle??? .300 Dakota?, .30/375 Ruger?,.308 Norma? Will someone please make up my mind??

The cartridges you mentioned will work but here are two that are larger:

1)The 300 RUM works in a standard length action. Add a Wyatt's mag box and things fit even better.
The only caveat is that sometimes the feed rails have to altered to accommodate this fat case.
Remington makes a line of RUM actions otherwise they don't fit.

I used a push feed post 64 model 70 which required no feed rail modifications for my 300 RUM. I also added a Wyatt's mag box.

2)The 30 Nosler would be another candidate.

I prefer the 300rum for magnum 30cals. Easy to reload and they shoot well. Plus no bs brass prep which leads to less bench time and more field time

As for case capacity, the 30x378 wby. would still top the list.
Of coarse its no longer the wildcat it was for a few decades before becoming a factory
offering. I used one for many years before other good choices were available.
My suggestion would be to keep the win mag and get another gun in 338.

Hi. This is my first post. I want to build a nice long range hunting rig. I plan to use either a Browning or a Ruger that I already have. Both are .300 win mag. But I want to go bigger. I understand that the bolt face will need work, but I have been doing research for a while now and still can't decide on the cartridge I want to use. I am interested in the.30/375 Ruger, but I can't decide. So my question to all of those more educated souls than I is, what wildcat cartridge has the absolute largest case capacity that will function in a standard length action rifle??? .300 Dakota?, .30/375 Ruger?,.308 Norma? Will someone please make up my mind??

The 300 rum would be the easiest (Would not require bolt work) if you are keeping the factory barrel.

If you want to re barrel, a 338 edge would also not require any bolt work.

There are many other choices but most would require lots more Gun smithing (Cost) and would not gain much if anything.

J E CUSTOM

This is why I don't post on forums. Let me be a little more specific. I said I want to use the action that I already have. Probably the Browning.I like the three lugs better. Now correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought that the maximum cartridge overall length for this action which is a.300 win mag, is 3.340 inches??? I haven't made up any test rounds to check it, but the magazine will not hold a round much longer than a win mag.

This is why I don't post on forums. Let me be a little more specific. I said I want to use the action that I already have. Probably the Browning.I like the three lugs better. Now correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought that the maximum cartridge overall length for this action which is a.300 win mag, is 3.340 inches??? I haven't made up any test rounds to check it, but the magazine will not hold a round much longer than a win mag.

3.34" is SAAMI spec, can speak for Browning action but I safely cycle 3.62" out of my SAKO. Others, esp customs can get to or near 3.8"+ range.

Call me crazy but if I were you I'd think hard before going forward.

The recoil of the .300 Rum can be pretty hard to live with and when you start talking about even more powder than the Rum's capacity you're talking about some pretty tough recoil.

I love the thirties and own/shoot 3 300wm's and 3 300 Rum's. I have the Rum's in both light (7.5lbs) and heavy (13.5lbs) configurations with good muzzle brakes so the recoil is tolerable but it will wear on you if you do any kind of high volume shooting.

I just returned from Africa and had seriously considered taking one of my Rum's along but settled instead on my favorite Model 70 300wm and shot everything from the tiny little Duiker up to Blue and Black Wildebeest with it.

With the right bullet the 300wm is a real workhorse capable of great things in the right hands.

Cannonitis is an expensive affliction and if you end up developing a flinch as a result of said affliction it can be very hard to cure.

I'm constantly amazed at how many low mileage 300 Rums there are for sale at reduced prices here in the classifieds, on other site's classified ads and of course on places like gunbroker. You can pick up a very nice used one at a bargain, for far less than it will cost you to build one so if you are really intent on going the Rum route I would strongly suggest starting there.

I have a 30-378 Weatherby Imp. and a 30-338 Lapua improved along with a couple 30-338 Norma Imp's, 30-8mm mags, a 308 Baer, and a 300wm for .30 caliber magnums. I would take WildRose's advise. The recoil from the larger two is significantly higher. My 30-338 Norma Imp uses 91grs of R-33 with a 230 Berger while my 30-338 Lapua Imp. uses 112grs of WC873 with a 230 Berger. 21 grains more powder adds quite a bit more recoil and the 30-378 Imp uses even more. The velocity is quite a bit higher from the big boys, to the tune of up to 200fps, but with the added recoil I tend to grab my 30-338 Norma Imp. when it's time to go shooting. It doesn't hurt that it regularly shoots in the .2's and under at 100yds.

If your browning is a magnum action it should be capable of handling 375 H&H length cartridges
(3.600) as most magnum actions are. the RUMs are 3.450.to fit in these actions.

If it is not , then I wouldn't change it.

J E CUSTOM

You did post on a forum and asked a question. It didn't cost you a thing other than your time. If you require more information than you're getting, perhaps your attitude is handicapping you. Why would a person try to help, only to get slapped in the face? It only took you two posts to launch an insult.

Im not trying to insult anybody. Maybe I asked my question the wrong way. Sorry for any offence. My bad.

Mr. Kirby answered my question for me. .300 Norma Magnum is the largest that will function in a standard length action. But he said both of my guns are a no go. So I may just sell them and buy a .300 ultra mag and be done with it.

CURIOUS WHAT RUGER HAS PLANNED FOR THE PRECISION RIFLE. ANYONE THINK THEY WILL DO A LONG ACTION??

Ruger seems to be the one gun company that listens and responds QUICK to what shooters want, and if I was a betting man I would say they have a long action variant of that rifle before the end of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.