Big magnums developing pressure signs as barrel warms?

Two thoughts....... One, I agree with the previous post about letting the barrel cool a little between shots. I shoot a 338/378 improved and have seen the same thing to a lesser degree. It really heats the barrel up fast.

Two, I ran into some pretty severe pressure problems by having the bullets seated all the way into the lands, backing off the lands allowed me really increase velocities before I run into pressure issues.

Three, (thought of another thing) This is a long shot, but do you turn necks? I was using unturned necks and the neck portion of the chamber was too tight and not allowing the bullet to release creating a pressure spike. This seemed to get worse as the barrel heated up. I assume from the heat related expansion of the barrel causing the neck to be even tighter as the barrel heated up. Started turning necks and the problem went away.

Two thoughts....... One, I agree with the previous post about letting the barrel cool a little between shots. I shoot a 338/378 improved and have seen the same thing to a lesser degree. It really heats the barrel up fast.

Two, I ran into some pretty severe pressure problems by having the bullets seated all the way into the lands, backing off the lands allowed me really increase velocities before I run into pressure issues.

Three, (thought of another thing) This is a long shot, but do you turn necks? I was using unturned necks and the neck portion of the chamber was too tight and not allowing the bullet to release creating a pressure spike. This seemed to get worse as the barrel heated up. I assume from the heat related expansion of the barrel causing the neck to be even tighter as the barrel heated up. Started turning necks and the problem went away.

I do turn necks, the chamber neck is .333, loaded rounds go .305-.331. The bullets are seated to touch the lands, I am going to back them off a bit and see if that helps. I will let the barrel cool much longer also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.