Big guns

I have a 375 Ruger on a Rem 700, I built it when it was cartridge was first let into the wild. I was headed to South Africa for work and was going to extend my trip by a couple weeks to get some hunting in, so I built the 375. The trip to SA got scrubbed, I have used the 375 spring bear hunting for the last couple of years, the bears have been quie impressed by the round.

For something a little different I ma getting a Sears Model 50 (actually an FN model 98 with a 3 digit serial number) bored out to 9.3 x 62 and cut the barrel back to 21". I prefer the controlled round feed and I had Jim Kobe install a 3-position safety on it. I prefer safeties that lock the bolt back instead of the locking the trigger. I recently picked up a decent piece of walnut for the stock and am looking for a duplicator to turn the walnut into a stock that has classic lines and a shadow line on the cheek piece. Basically the same lines as the stock the Model 50 came with, including a shadow line for a little accent. I am taking advice on duplicators so if you have a favorite I would appreciate the contact info.

I have a hunch the 375 Ruger will get its place taken as my black bear gun, at least in hunts in the woods. The bears will probably never know the difference between the cartridges at limited distances.

Just my thoughts/opinions,
wade
Very interesting, good luck with your stock build Are you doing it on your own?
What was the cost of your safety modification if you dont mind me asking?
Regards

Very interesting, good luck with your stock build Are you doing it on your own?
What was the cost of your safety modification if you dont mind me asking?
Regards

I won't do the entire stock build just the final inletting and finishing (oil) after the duplicator does the shaping and rough inletting. I will also have someone else do the inletting if I choose to include it. I assume the rebored barrel will be more than accurate enough as it is being done by JES, I have never had a barrel rebored but the vast majority of reviews of his work has been positive. If there are problems that cannot be resolved I will rebarrel it myself as I have the equipment and just enough knowledge to install barrels. Note: I don't claim to be a gunsmith, I can only do a very small subset of the operations a gunsmith can do.

The cost of the 3 position safety is about $180 if I recall correctly. I think it is money well spent with hunting guns we rely on the safety for almost every hour we are in the field with them. Another advantage of the 3-position is the visibility of the state of the safety. I also think they add a touch of panache in a similar way the shadow line does. Another option would be to just have started with a win 70 in pre-64 configuration, but I like Mausers simply a preference as model 70's are fine guns without a doubt.

Just more thoughts,
wade

I won't do the entire stock build just the final inletting and finishing (oil) after the duplicator does the shaping and rough inletting. I will also have someone else do the inletting if I choose to include it. I assume the rebored barrel will be more than accurate enough as it is being done by JES, I have never had a barrel rebored but the vast majority of reviews of his work has been positive. If there are problems that cannot be resolved I will rebarrel it myself as I have the equipment and just enough knowledge to install barrels. Note: I don't claim to be a gunsmith, I can only do a very small subset of the operations a gunsmith can do.

The cost of the 3 position safety is about $180 if I recall correctly. I think it is money well spent with hunting guns we rely on the safety for almost every hour we are in the field with them. Another advantage of the 3-position is the visibility of the state of the safety. I also think they add a touch of panache in a similar way the shadow line does. Another option would be to just have started with a win 70 in pre-64 configuration, but I like Mausers simply a preference as model 70's are fine guns without a doubt.

Just more thoughts,
wade
Yes very true I think you are on the right path lol

you can contact here as jkob or Jkob60
graphic_ampersand.gif
msn.com or
Address: 10841 Oxborough Ave. So. Bloomington, MN 55437 USA
Voice: 1-952-884-6031

Here is a gallery of some of his work
As you can see if you go to the link above Jim does excellent work, if I had enough money I would have Jim do his magic on a mauser or two for me. I think you will find he is a good 'smith to work with as his work speaks loudly for his craft, his prices are reasonable and turnaround time is great.

wade

you can contact here as jkob or Jkob60
graphic_ampersand.gif
msn.com or
Address: 10841 Oxborough Ave. So. Bloomington, MN 55437 USA
Voice: 1-952-884-6031

Here is a gallery of some of his work
As you can see if you go to the link above Jim does excellent work, if I had enough money I would have Jim do his magic on a mauser or two for me. I think you will find he is a good 'smith to work with as his work speaks loudly for his craft, his prices are reasonable and turnaround time is great.

wade

That CZ550 in .375H&H is a heck of a rifle. I wish that I had one now. Sometimes you sell a rifle that you don't use very much when money gets tight. I wish that I had back every gun I ever sold LOL.

That CZ550 in .375H&H is a heck of a rifle. I wish that I had one now. Sometimes you sell a rifle that you don't use very much when money gets tight. I wish that I had back every gun I ever sold LOL.
Yes the CZ 550 is a nice rifle, I had mine fitted with a custom brake and reloaded for it with lapua brass etc
I also love my sako m85 in 30-06, it was accurate right out of the box lol
I also have regrets selling some of my rifles and shotguns but such is life

I have several big guns.
Win Model 70 Classic Stainless, originally 375H&H, re-chambered it to 375 Weatherby. Use 260gr AB on deer here, 3000fps, shoots as flat as my 338WM to 400mtr.
CZ550 in 416 Rigby.
CZ550 in 404 Jeffrey.
CZ550 in 458 LOTT.
Had a CZ550 in 505 Gibbs.......just WOW on the recoil front in a 9lb rifle.
Have a 500NE 3 1/4", Search double.

Have had a few others in the past too.
Love my big bores.

Cheers.

I have a Ruger Guide gun in .375 Ruger. It is a TANK of a gun! Very sturdy and reliable. Just what I want in my hands when dangerous game might be lurking around. It has a dull stainless finish, laminated stock, Ruger Hawkeye bolt action, muzzle break, open sights, and is very handy since it has a 20" barrel.

I thought I heard that it's supposed to have more energy with it's 20" barrel than a .375 H&H has with a 24" barrel. I'm sure the game wouldn't know the difference though.

I've shot black bear with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One. Very accurate & easy to shoot.

I've only hunted with the 260 gr Nosler Accubond, it worked great on bear from 15' out to over 300 yards. Am loading that bullet with RL-15, though I've also had good results with H4350.

Z9FPxHnl.jpg

0S4hs85l.jpg

I've carried it on elk hunts, but no shot opportunity with it yet.

The rifle has been to Africa with a previous owner and was used to take Cape Buff as well as plains game. Perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to take it to Africa with me someday! :)

Regards, Guy

I thought I heard that it's supposed to have more energy with it's 20" barrel than a .375 H&H has with a 24" barrel. I'm sure the game wouldn't know the difference though.

At under 300 yards, which is really what I would think is bear or moose hunting distance, I don't think that there is a great benefit to an extra four inches of barrel. As long as the rifle is balanced and points well I would go with the shorter barrel. It would certainly be much handier in the woods and could be of great benefit when you need to get a fast shot off at personal space distances.

I never feel bad about the 18.5" barrel on the Marlin Guide Gun. I love the fact that you don't need a lot of clearance to get it up to your shoulder in the event that you need it NOW.

At under 300 yards, which is really what I would think is bear or moose hunting distance, I don't think that there is a great benefit to an extra four inches of barrel. As long as the rifle is balanced and points well I would go with the shorter barrel. It would certainly be much handier in the woods and could be of great benefit when you need to get a fast shot off at personal space distances.

I never feel bad about the 18.5" barrel on the Marlin Guide Gun. I love the fact that you don't need a lot of clearance to get it up to your shoulder in the event that you need it NOW.

It's been quite a few years since I read the article, but the writer wanted a short, lightweight, fast handling.375 H&H. He ended up with a 20" barrel (If memory serves me correctly), while loosing minimal velocity.

The .375 H&H is certainly "not" an "overbore" cartridge....therefore reducing barrel length has fairly negligible effects on muzzle velocity! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.