Big Game Rifle Caliber?

CC268

Sometime this year (hopefully over the summer) I am looking into getting a rifle for big game and some longer range target shooting. I currently have a Tikka T3 Lite .243 that I use for coyote and white tail deer. I figure it is time to get something for elk, mule deer, etc. I live in Arizona so some of the shots on deer and elk can be long (300+ yards)

I would really like something that is versatile (like I said good for big game and some target shooting). I have shot everything from a .270 to a 7mm MAG, to a 300 Ultra Mag. I am open to suggestions but PLEASE NO ODD CALIBERS that are hard to find. Here are a list of calibers that come to mind that may be good?

30-06
300 Win Mag
300 Win Short Mag
7MM Mag

I do plan on getting my own reloading equipment, but it may be a little while.

Basically, a shot opportunity like this is not unusual for me (very open terrain in a lot of Arizona depending on where you are):

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
7mm STW or 300wm is what I'd say. Either of them will do whatever you want to 1,000yds for Anything on the continent.

Have both, love both, but the STW of course is my favorite because it is so flat shooting.

I was also a 7mm Rem shooter for 20 plus years before I moved up to the STW, and no, I'm not going back.

7mm STW or 300wm is what I'd say. Either of them will do whatever you want to 1,000yds for Anything on the continent.

Have both, love both, but the STW of course is my favorite because it is so flat shooting.

I was also a 7mm Rem shooter for 20 plus years before I moved up to the STW, and no, I'm not going back.

You know I'm as big an STW advocste as anyone...And I love my STW, but I still love my 7mm RemMags. They both hold their own, but in their respective categories.

If he is planning on shooting 1K or further with most shots being 500+....Go with the 7mm STW. 1K and under, and mostly under 750, the 7mm RemMag with VLD's will be perfect.

You know I'm as big an STW advocste as anyone...And I love my STW, but I still love my 7mm RemMags. They both hold their own, but in their respective categories.

If he is planning on shooting 1K or further with most shots being 500+....Go with the 7mm STW. 1K and under, and mostly under 750, the 7mm RemMag with VLD's will be perfect.
Pretty much but the STW is a hell of a lot sexier!

Honestly I never thought I'd be without a 7mm Rem but I have been for about 8 years now and don't miss it.

CC- i live in az also. a natural choice is the 7mm mag. However many calibers will work . the rifle is WAY more important than the caliber. i suggest a remington sendero, if you are considering a factory rifle. the rifle in that vid clip is not a factory rifle.

CC268, first welcome from Goodyear, Az. 7mm Rem since you don't reload yet and the ammo is easy to find. When you do start reloading the components and dies are easier to find here in Az. Roninflag mentioned the rifle choice is important. Please don't buy a rifle with the black plastic (Tupperware) stock, the extra few dollars for a wood or laminate stock is very well worth it. The 300 Win Mag is also worth looking at. If you live in the "Valley" there are several of us (members) that can steer you to the best prices and help with setting up. We all shoot at the range together and reload. Good luck

What is the 7mm STW? I have never heard of that. Please keep in mind at this point I would like to buy something that has ammo that is available over the counter. I have never seen 7mm STW in the stores, but always see 300 WM, 7mm Mag, 308, etc...

Looks like there are a lot of advocates for the 7 Mag and 300 WM.

Quick Question: How is the recoil with the 300 WM? (assuming a gun that is 7lb +, but light enough to carry hunting)

I have shot a 7 Mag, 300 Ultra Mag (one Remington 700 with a muzzle brake and the other a Remington Sendero with no muzzle brake, but of course it is a 8.5 lb rifle) and had no issue with recoil whatsoever. In fact the 300 UM Remington Sendero kicked less than my Tikka T3 Lite .243!

I posted a similar thread over on another forum and got a lot of supporters for the .270 as well. The 7mm Mag and 300 WM seem to be the conclusion here though.

CC- i live in az also. a natural choice is the 7mm mag. However many calibers will work . the rifle is WAY more important than the caliber. i suggest a remington sendero, if you are considering a factory rifle. the rifle in that vid clip is not a factory rifle.

I go to school at NAU in Flagstaff, I see you live in Flagstaff as well! I would LOVE a Remington Sendero, in fact my friend just got a Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra Mag, however I really don't have $1400 for a rifle at this point (and man that thing is a HEAVY gun).

CC268, first welcome from Goodyear, Az. 7mm Rem since you don't reload yet and the ammo is easy to find. When you do start reloading the components and dies are easier to find here in Az. Roninflag mentioned the rifle choice is important. Please don't buy a rifle with the black plastic (Tupperware) stock, the extra few dollars for a wood or laminate stock is very well worth it. The 300 Win Mag is also worth looking at. If you live in the "Valley" there are several of us (members) that can steer you to the best prices and help with setting up. We all shoot at the range together and reload. Good luck

Cool! I am from and live in Cave Creek, AZ during the summer when I am down from school in Flagstaff. I do plan on getting into reloading, but as a college student I only have so much money to spend on guns, reloading, etc. I plan on getting some reloading stuff when I graduate in a year. I would love to buy a nice rifle and I would be willing to spend some decent money, but not sure I have $1400 for just a rifle like the Remington Sendero. Who knows though, maybe it could be a birthday or Christmas gift?

7 Rem mag. I prefer the 300 Short mag but ammo is much more $ and harder to come by.

You already own a Tikka. While I own none I have several friends that have them and build rifles on the action or one, an ex marine sniper, actually built his wife a 7-08 on a tikka. Left the barrel and action untouched. just got a manners stock for it and she shoots 1400 yards with it. Longest kill with that rifle is a mule deer at 750 and change.
Says a lot about the tikkas.

toa

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.