Big Game Info Ballistics calculator.

[ QUOTE ]
The PDA version of Exbal accomplishes this beautifully. Everything can be operated off of the first screen without getting complicated at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I went out and looked at the Exbal site, unfortunately, they don't have any sample screens for the PDA product that I could find. This is definitely not something I want to bite off right now. I had enough problems moving SureShot to a PDA.

The zero yardage is easy to add to the display so I'll take care of that.

[ QUOTE ]
Ballistical reticle analysis is just a quick secondary page to give you the formulas and charts for showing one how to use his mil-dot reticle or the Leupold B & C reticle. I personally don't ever use this as I don't have a mil-dot reticle, but I know a lot of guys do use it and would probably like to have this feature.

[/ QUOTE ]
After looking around on Exbal I understand what you're talking about and that look like it might be usefull as well. It'll take a little thought and maybe a little more research but definitely doable.

Well I asked for some comments and suggestion and you boys your fixed me up. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next several weeks...

Thanks for all your input.

Steve

OGW Optimal Game Weight

[ QUOTE ]
The OGW or Optimal Game Weight column is based on an article in a Lyman loading manual a few years back. What it really is momentum multiplied by energy divided by a factor. No real scientific justification but it produces numbers that are intuitively correct. It does produce some questionable results for very fast light bulets in my opinion but overall it might help a novice avoid shooting a griz with .243.

[/ QUOTE ]

questionable results for very fast light bulets
Yes, you're exactly right on that.

It's less than scientific, it's totally bogus. Using conservation of energy and momemtum, you can trivally compute how much energy is use to deform tissue. This only holds true if there is no exit wound ( ha ha ha ) -

Shooting a griz with a .243 you would probably not have an exit wound, and almost all of the KE would go to tissue breakdown. Hit a bear with a 500lb club having the same momentum might wake him up but it clearly wouldn't bruse the bruin.

I suppose it's better than nothing.

The Taylor Index - A Measure of Stopping Power

[ QUOTE ]
Well I asked for some comments and suggestion and you boys your fixed me up. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next several weeks...

Thanks for all your input.

[/ QUOTE ]

See what you get for showing up with something new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm glad this thread was able to give you some usefull input. I'm also glad that you were so receptive to outside ideas. I will be visiting your calculator often and with enthusiasm. I'm sure that someday I will own a PDA and you can be sure your program will be loaded on it. Be certain to swing in and let us know how things are going and let us know if we can help you out.

Well I've made a few mods already. I added a graph capability, multiple traces/loads but only one output item at a time. b1g_b0re discovered a bug but I don't think it's a show stopper since I haven't encountered it as yet. I also added mils as an output option and added the current zero yardage for those occassions where the input parameters included a non-zero height at zero range.

Hey Klinkers I think you are missing a decimal point in your MIL calculations. I see a string of numbers coming from a 500 yard zero in 20 yard steps that are on the line of 1, 3, 5, 8, 10... I'm fairly sure they should be .1, .3, .5, .8, 1.0...

And I don't know why I didn't catch it before but you only allow a maximum 500 yard zero distance. Can you extend this to an even 1500? but only if it's not a bother and you think other people can benefit from it as well. This makes using the MIL drops for a hold over point useful when shooting beyond the elevation turrets uppermost movement. For my .308 it would give me aim points to around 1350 yards eventhough I lose up adjustments at around a 1200 zero.

Thanks.

I'll check on the mils again, since I'm not used to them, it didn't strike me as out of line.

As far as the 1500 yard zero goes, a suggested work around. Set your zero to dead on @ 150, click calculate. Divide the path value @ 1500 by 10 and enter the result as your zero height @ 150. Should get you real close, a lot closer than you can hold at that range.

4ked Horn, I guess I need a little training on "mils". What I did was convert comeup moa values to mils by multiplying by 3.4377 which seems correct to me. Where did I go wrong?

A miliradian is 3.43... (I use 3.44) MOA

To convert MOA come-ups to Mil.

Come-up of 3.44 MOA = 1 Mil

For example: My "standard" MOA 308 come-ups to 800 yards with a 100 yard zero are,

200.. 2
300.. 3 (5 total)
400.. 3.5 (8.5 total)
500.. 3.5 (12 total)
600.. 4 (16 total)
700.. 4.5 (20.5 total)
800.. 5 (25.5 total)

if I were to use Mils vice MOA and a 100 yard zero

(These are total value, not 100 yard incremental)
200.. .6 Mil (.58 actual)
300.. 1.5 Mil (1.45 actual)
400.. 2.3 Mil (2.32 actual)
500.. 3.5 Mil (3.48 actual)
600.. 4.6 Mil (4.65 actual)
700.. 6.0 Mil (5.95 actual)
800.. 7.4 Mil (7.41 actual)

For Mil holdovers via military model(s) the scope is often set to a 300 to 500 yard zero. The closer ranges are "hold-under" and the distant ranges are "hold-over".

[ QUOTE ]
I'll check on the mils again, since I'm not used to them, it didn't strike me as out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a mathematician nor a programmer but I'm married to a mathematician and have fairly quick access to programmers and engineers over at www.howwhatwhy.com I have to go to work but when I get home I will see if I can get you an answer if you still need it.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the 1500 yard zero goes, a suggested work around. Set your zero to dead on @ 150, click calculate. Divide the path value @ 1500 by 10 and enter the result as your zero height @ 150. Should get you real close, a lot closer than you can hold at that range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats a neat trick. Thanks.

7mmRHB... any chance of getting a drawing / materials list of the cool bench recently shown with goodgrouper's latest heavyweight longranger... understand completely if this is too complicated of a request... appreciate your time... Larry [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.