Big deer hunt - help me pick the cartridge

Considering your range will be under 200 yards, and you can shoot both rifles equally well, the 6.5CM will be more then sufficient, and enable you precisely place your bullet and perhaps better spot your hits. Bullet terminal performance with complete penetration will be more a function of proper bullet selection as opposed to caliber size, and there are a myriad of excellent 6.5 projectile choices particularly if the range is limited to 200 yards. Over the years I have used both the 300 and 6.5 for a few dozen really big bodied Canadian whitetails and mule deer with an "average" distance of 450 yards for all animals taken. I'm hard pressed to see a difference in effective killing power between the two and, at least for me, appreciate the advantages of the more manageable 6.5 system for hunting deer. IMO.

That 6.5 Creed with a 125 grain Partition is absolute perfection to 400 yards and 400Lbs and under. It's the best of both worlds. Rapid frontal expansion and complete penetration. Just because it was first doesn't mean it's not still best. The .243 with Partitions or TSXs is also a great choice.

I've hunted MO my whole life. If you shoot a buck over 200 lbs that is a very large deer and that is in good farm country. A 300 win will certainly not be overkill. A 6.5 will do just fine but nothing wrong with more power.

If you have all those calibers you mention in the OP, pick the one you shoot the best. As another poster suggested, deer are not rhinos. Have fun, practice with your choice and good luck

Decision, decisions...If I take out my 308, I say man I am going to make this my one and only rifle...next weeks it's the win mag, week after, the RUM...then I shoot my sons 243 and think, man it is so nice to just shoot small capable rifles.

I'm sure grampa would laugh and say just take the 30-06, it's my only rifle and all I ever needed...

Think I'de take the 300 WM.

Sounds like our Grandpas were plucked from the same tree!

Going to Missouri in Nov for for my second annual deer hunt. I hear the white tail there are really big with bucks over 250-300 lbs. Im told that most shots would be within 10-150 yds on the property we are hunting with nothing more than 200 yds. Last year I shot my first deer with my 6.5 Creedmoor and a Hornady ELDX 143 gn projectile. Im contemplating whether I should shoot the Creedmoor with that round or a Barnes 127 gn projectile to ensure an exit hole.
The other option would be a 300 win mag with a 180 gn Barnes or 165 gn Ballistic tip but my friends tell me that those are overkill for a soft animal like a white tail. Im also working on a load for a 215 gn Berger Hybrid target but that seems like a lot more than the energy required. Looking for some experienced input in making the decision. Thank you in advance.

what county are you hunting? I'm still trying to find a new lease this year.

Going to Missouri in Nov for for my second annual deer hunt. I hear the white tail there are really big with bucks over 250-300 lbs. Im told that most shots would be within 10-150 yds on the property we are hunting with nothing more than 200 yds. Last year I shot my first deer with my 6.5 Creedmoor and a Hornady ELDX 143 gn projectile. Im contemplating whether I should shoot the Creedmoor with that round or a Barnes 127 gn projectile to ensure an exit hole.
The other option would be a 300 win mag with a 180 gn Barnes or 165 gn Ballistic tip but my friends tell me that those are overkill for a soft animal like a white tail. Im also working on a load for a 215 gn Berger Hybrid target but that seems like a lot more than the energy required. Looking for some experienced input in making the decision. Thank you in advance.

Wow! You might just worry that deer to death!🤣🙈 Hunted deer in MO for over 60 years and killed them with about everything but a stick. Pick anything bigger than a .22, zero it and place the shot. End result the same without all the mental gymnastics! Enjoy your trip. MO is a great Whitetail State!

The Bear

Stick with your 6.5 creed, just got mine a couple of years ago, and of the 5 deer i've taken with it at distances of 25yds. to 275yds. 3 dropped and the one that went the farthest was the one at 25yds. and it only went about 30yds.

Don't need a magnum for whitetail...any nice shooting "medium" light weight or standard high powered rifle will do: 6.5 (CM [Get away from ELD-X bullets], .260 Rem, PRC), .270 Win with 140 bullet, 7mm-08 (my favorite with 140 gr bullet), .280 Rem with 160 gr bullet, .308 Win with (165 gr bullet) and you are never wrong with the handy dandy do it all 30-06 with 165 gr bullet. I highly recommend SAKO 85 as the best shooting, most accurate rifle off the shelf I've ever seen especially at a reasonable cost. My bullet choices: I Love Sierra Game Changer, Barnes TTSX or LRX for long range, and Nosler Partition or Nos AB & Nos ABLR for long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.