Big deer hunt - help me pick the cartridge

AP218

I hunt whitetails with a 6.5 creedmoor and 143gr eldx and also a 300 win mag with 200gr eldx ammo. No doubt the Creedmoor works fine but there is no denying the 300 puts them down faster in most cases. Put it though their shoulders with a 300 win mag and the majority of the time there is no tracking involved. Mature bucks in my area weigh up to 200 lbs but not usually over.

matt_3479

Like previously mentioned! Shoot what your most comfortable in. My area I have to use muzzle loader or shotgun and I’ve taken 2 bucks that tipped the 300lbs range and the 20 gauge worked flawlessly! That being said if I had a choice i would of brought my 6 creed, 25 creed or 260 rem.

wv270wsm

That creedmoor will for sure kill them . But the 300 will do it to. And maybe better dead is dead . I don’t believe in overkill . Shoot I hunt Wv whitetail with a 338 win mag regularly.
I personally don’t believe that those whitetail get no 250 lbs . Not saying that there may not be one that won’t if he’s fed the right feed . But I’d bet my bottom dollar that they are few and far between.
With that being said the op will go out and kill a 280-300 lb one and show me how wrong I am lol

CVCOBRA1

Midwest whitetails have one of the most abundant and best food resources that is out there. We easily shoot 150# plus does and 200# plus bucks here all the time. 250-300 are rare but not unusual.

NeedForSpeed

300 Win Mag for deer inside of 200 yards? Geez, buy it if you’re set on getting one, but it would be hard to justify it is necessary.

6.5 CM. Either bullet will work. Personally, I’d shoot the Barnes.
appreciate your opinions. Already have both rifles so it’s not about buying a new one

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
To me it sounds like an occasion to buy a NEW RIFLE!
Pick a cartridge you don't have and go hunt.
I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster
Since when do we need an excuse to buy another weapon? A month ago or so, I went to Scheels to check for powder and ended up with a Glock 40 MOD 10MM. 😇