big cartridges chamber lenght

300Wildcat

What is minimum safety lenght of chamber? 0.05" over max case lenght or something else?? Maybe less than 0.05 over cl??? I think specs for reamer (chamber case neck lenght). Who is best manufacturer for reamers? lightbulb

Any case that does not jam into the chamber would be "safe" as it would not be pinched. You do however want some margin versus standard brass lengths thus the SAAMI specs. You can view SAAMI specs on line and print them out if you are so inclined.

Manson is my preferred reamer provider. PT&G has had "issues" of late.

The standard safety margin is around .020"-.040", as you know, some cartridges stretch quite a bit more than others and if at max length there needs to be some 'wiggle' room. The measurement is normally .008"-.020" longer in the chamber than the max length of the brass, as the brass is manufactured to be .010" shorter than max this gives anywhere up to .040" clearance.

The standard specs by SAAMI reamer drawings are a good place to start if designing your own case design. Tapered cases with long shallow shoulders stretch far more than straighter walled sharp shouldered cases, so keep this in mind.

Cheers.
gun)

What is minimum safety lenght of chamber? 0.05" over max case lenght or something else?? Maybe less than 0.05 over cl??? I think specs for reamer (chamber case neck lenght). Who is best manufacturer for reamers? lightbulb

If you are talking about the neck length clearance over the neck chamber length. There should be at least .020 thousandths of end clearance between the case neck and the neck chamber length.

I recommend trimming the case necks .020 to .030 shorter than the neck chamber length on most standard shouldered cases and no less than .020 for the AI shouldered cases (40o)

First establish what your reamer Case length is and then trim the case until it is .030 shorter.

J E CUSTOM

JGS is the hands down most accurate and well engineered reamers made. Actually measuring the angles, chatter eliminating unequal flute spacing and actual cutting edge under high magnification and you will see the differences that make them worth the extra money.

JGS is the hands down most accurate and well engineered reamers made. Actually measuring the angles, chatter eliminating unequal flute spacing and actual cutting edge under high magnification and you will see the differences that make them worth the extra money.

Ok. I ask with email. Thanks :)

For what it's worth, Manson Precision uses the staggered flute pattern on the reamers they make, too. I don't know about PT&G. What I do know about them (PT&G) is their tools lack the performance and longevity of the other makers, and the surface finish they give is kind of 'questionable'. Manson has a new web site, check their FAQs page for important information. I've always received first class customer service from both JGS and Manson. The only reason some use PT&G is probably because they never tried the others or they were the first reamer maker they called and actually got an answer. I detest e-mail for communicating with suppliers (until after a 'working relationship' has been established), I want to talk with them. I'd suggest you pick up the phone as they both receive hundreds of e-mails daily with only a few being serious. You might get "lost in the weeds" or get a generalized answer to your request using e-mail.

At JGS there is usually only one person answering the phone. Her name is Sarah. She takes and fills the orders. She is a good as it gets. There is only one guy to talk tech with about reamers and that is Cary. This man is humble and quiet but believe me he has seen it all when it comes to reamers. I thought I operated at close tolerances. They take it out at least another digit.

[ame]https://youtu.be/PkUWAhQzvVU[/ame]

They readily are available during business hours which alighn with the east coast. A little trick. After 2:00 PM pacific time leave a message and they will usually call back in the next hour or so. The office staff is there till 4:30. The rest of the operation appears to run around the clock.

They do tooling for around the world. Not just gun stuff but cutters used for aerospace industry.

They do the gas coatings to so if you want your rifle reamer to be Ti gold coated they can do that too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.