Big 6mm's

Oliveralan, your thinkin is right on track -for your needs.
The 6x47L, or the 6Dasher(same capacity) would be all over it.

Both the 6x47 & 6Dasher use Lapua brass, and there are reamers, dies, and plenty of information out there on these. The Dashers have done their duty in 1Kyd competition, so will the 6x47.
The Dasher is basically an improved 6br, so there is a fireforming step to get it.
The 6x47 is necked down from the parent 6.5x47, and fireformed.
I'm confident Both would provide right around 1500-2000rnds.

The 6XC is even easier. There is now NORMA brass available for it, and it's known to provide 1800 rnds of barrel life. I use and advise a custom die from JLC Precision for this cartridge. This cartridge also utilzes large primer pockets, so it fires more powder reliably in extreme cold. David Tubb(it's originator) did alot of testing in design and he knows what he's doing.

There is a ton of info about them here:
AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

Mikecr,

thanks for the reassurance, I I'm pretty set on the 6x47 lapua now. By the way, I believe there is no fireforming, just neck down from 6.5 to 6mm. The barrel life should be very close to the 6XC since the cases are nearly
identical (6x47 is a few grains bigger though) so case life between 1500 and 2000 sounds right on the money.

I considered the 6Dasher, it's almost exactly like a 6x47L but an extra step, fireforming.

If you are trying to take deer sized animals out to 800 yds with a 6mm you need to use as heavy a bullet as possible, 115 gr.
I have a 240 Gibbs, which I love. 30" Shilen 8 twist, SSG brake, 115 gr Berger VLD's at 3250, 100 yd "0" 19.50 +/- MOA @ 1,000yds.
NOT barrel friendly, but have taken Antelope 1@610 and 1@870yds several others between 150 and 500 yds.
Have not shot any deer over 350 yds with it yet, hard to find a long range deer place in N. VA.
Decide what you are going to use the rifle for, if it is for "hunting" a 1,000 rounds is probably YEARS!
If you are going to shoot it a LOT then a more barrel friendly caliber would be better BUT I would suggest you reconsider how far you shoot at larger animals.

Dave

I will use this gun for my "shoot all the time" gun. And also for the occasional deer out to a few hundred yards. I think the 6x47lapua will be fine, good balance of barrel life and enough performance for hunting deer size game out to 600yards at least. If I go somewhere where I know shots will be long, I will use my 7mm, will probably get a .284win or 7 rem mag for that.

I agree, it is very hard to find places to shoot lr deer in va... On my property I have an excellent spot where deer regularly come out at 280-320 yards. Problem is, usualy this happens in fall, during muzzleloader season... =\

if you find a lr deer place in va, and want some company on your hunt, shoot me a pm . Don't have many opportunities to hunt outside my own property, 16 and no car yet. :(

-Oliver

I believe there is no fireforming, just neck down from 6.5 to 6mm
Oh there is always fireforming. New brass ain't yours until made so.
Also, I think the 6x47L is a bit smaller than the 6XC. But I haven't come across a drawing for the formed case. I'm pretty sure it can't match a 6XC at the same pressures. This is where it could get ugly for the cartridge. People are pushing extreme pressures with both the 6.5x47L (because it's under capacity for cal), and the 6x47L(to catch the 6XC). This will result in very bad barrel life from it.
You watch..
In contrast, there is the 6CM, with a touch more capacity than the 6XC. Just enough capacity to run cool H1000, and increase barrel life over that of a 6XC.

Some more links
This is sweet stuff: Image
Good info
Beginski's New 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua

Yes I suppose there is always a degree of fireforming... That's BR stuff, if you have a custom 100% coencentric chamber, a lot of tactical match guys FL size for quick and easy chambering and still get very good accuracy. I'm not disagreeing, I do usualy just neck size my brass and use once fired neck sized brass for comps and my serious shooting.

Your correct the 6x47L is slightly smaller, but I believe runs slightly higher pressure. I think that it can have decent barrel life, but not too great performance, or 6XC like performance with drastically shorter barrel life.

The 6CM has peaked my interest. Have been reading about it for the past hour. It is an improved 243win with 1gr more capacity and a steeper shoulder. It runs good on powder like H1000 and can push 115s to 3100fps using a very mild load. With N560 it can push them to 3300, but much shorter barrel life. With H1000 running 115s at 3150-3250fps barrel life is over 3000, if you run them at 3000, over 5000 rounds.

This sounds absolutely awsome, I liked the accuracy reports of the 6x47L but the 6CM (CompetitionMatch) has a lot more barrel life and lower pressure, perfect for my main go-to gun. Now just need to find someone with a reamer, and some cash for the build.

Keep any ideas, suggestions and/or experiences coming though. I'm not 100% set till I have ordered a barrel.

Yes I suppose there is always a degree of fireforming... That's BR stuff, if you have a custom 100% coencentric chamber, a lot of tactical match guys FL size for quick and easy chambering and still get very good accuracy. I'm not disagreeing, I do usualy just neck size my brass and use once fired neck sized brass for comps and my serious shooting.

Your correct the 6x47L is slightly smaller, but I believe runs slightly higher pressure. I think that it can have decent barrel life, but not too great performance, or 6XC like performance with drastically shorter barrel life.

The 6CM has peaked my interest. Have been reading about it for the past hour. It is an improved 243win with 1gr more capacity and a steeper shoulder. It runs good on powder like H1000 and can push 115s to 3100fps using a very mild load. With N560 it can push them to 3300, but much shorter barrel life. With H1000 running 115s at 3150-3250fps barrel life is over 3000, if you run them at 3000, over 5000 rounds.

This sounds absolutely awsome, I liked the accuracy reports of the 6x47L but the 6CM (CompetitionMatch) has a lot more barrel life and lower pressure, perfect for my main go-to gun. Now just need to find someone with a reamer, and some cash for the build.

Keep any ideas, suggestions and/or experiences coming though. I'm not 100% set till I have ordered a barrel.

Steeper then a 40 degree AI? I wonder how that thing feeds? And barrel life seems WAY too good to be true...

No, not steeper than 40degrees. I ment it is an improved 243win, not an improved, improved 243win.

Will have to keep reading about barrel life but I've read atleast 5different accounts of barrel life exceeding 2300 and nearing 4500rds. Has to do with H1000 being a cool burning, slow single base powder I believe.

Oh okay, I was thinking 1 more grain and steeper shoulder then an AI. Never heard of H1000 being used, I'll do some research on it and might give it a whirl in mine...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.