Bi pods or Shooting sticks

I seen the Ckye-Pod bipod mentioned a few times in this thread, To the guys that are using one, How do you like it? Looking for some reviews on the Ckye-Pod.

I would like to know if anybody have experience with mdt ckye pod triple pull (the longest one).

I have from single stick to tri-pod. Over the past few years I've come to really rely on the tri-pod sticks. I find I can be much steadier because I can pull down on the forearm-- a technique my PH taught me in Africa. So far I've shot an Elk at 500 yds and Mule deer at 475 off the tri-pod sticks. One shot DRT kills.

I use bipod and tripods shooting sticks, back pack, tree branches whatever I see laying around I deem useful. As long as you stay focused on your target you'll be fine. I've shot up to 2300 yards using all these methods and they all seam to work. Like I said stay focused on your target and don't forget to breath. Dry fire a few times if need be to calm yourself down. Don't limit yourself to only using one method. Use multiple methods and you will get better over time.

I mean whit this

It is not tripod.

I've been hunting and shooting for probably 60 of my 75 years. I read all I can to improve my skills. And now I am trying to decide on the purchase of either a bi pod or shooting sticks. In the past I have relied on using the best available rests: trees, fence posts, cushioned rocks, and the list goes on. Which rest do you use - bi pod or shooting sticks - and why?
I use both. I always prefer to shoot prone if at all possible but hunting in the steep mountains of Idaho, Wyoming and Utah there are many times where the angle of the steep hillside just doesn't work for my bi-pod. In these cases I love my light weight Steady Stix by Primos. Shot the bull in my avatar sitting on a 30 deg hillside shooting down and across a canyon at 639 yards. Hit him two for two as fast as I could roll the bolt. Both hits 4 inches apart in the crease of the shoulder. Couldn't have made a shot like that with a bi-pod unless it had legs extendable 40" in which case it would be too heavy and awkward for packing a rifle around.

View attachment 145825
Shooting sticks are great for the buttstock while shooting off the tripod. You can mark the legs for the correct height, to make the set up faster. Notice the "prone" bipod is attached even at the range. It gives you a ton of options, but the terrain and time available dictates which option you choose.
Not very workable in the mountains of the west. Much easier to build a rear support with pack, rocks, etc and use the sticks out front on a steep hillside.

"It gives you a ton of options, but the terrain and time available dictates which option you choose."

What's not workable? That kid, rifle, tripod, bipod, and shooting sticks have never been anywhere other than the mountains in the west. I lug all that stuff around, and the set up is dictated by terrain. Sometimes the bipod is used prone. Sometimes just the tripod is used. Sometimes, the setup in the picture is used. Quick offhand shots may just use the shooting sticks. Options are good.

Years ago I used a Harris bipod and then one Christmas my dad bought me a stoney point pole cat, and I never used the bipod again. Lately I've been using a rear rest by Floyd shooting systems along with the front sticks and it's almost like shooting from a bench in the field. This thing takes field shooting to the next level.

I mean whit this

It is not tripod.

Ckye pod triple is amazing if you aren't walking too far. Downfall is it is heavy. Super stable prone and the ability to use it sitting/kneeling/almost standing is a game changer for predator hunting or day hunts with less walking.

Since my last post on this subject, I have tried many kinds of shooting sticks with miserable results. I just can not shoot with sticks. I use bi-pods very well, I use my backpack very well, and I use the trees well.. so I reckon sticks are not in my "wheelhouse" for shooting. of all the places I have hunted in the past.. setting up a tri-pod, or these sticks or anything with a rear rest in the field has lost me too many good pieces of meat. I will stick to my Harris Bi-pod, my Maxpedition backpacks, and if I have to; a tree limb and trunk. You all can have your sticks and tri-pods and other things.. I was never meant to use them.

Since my last post on this subject, I have tried many kinds of shooting sticks with miserable results. I just can not shoot with sticks. I use bi-pods very well, I use my backpack very well, and I use the trees well.. so I reckon sticks are not in my "wheelhouse" for shooting. of all the places I have hunted in the past.. setting up a tri-pod, or these sticks or anything with a rear rest in the field has lost me too many good pieces of meat. I will stick to my Harris Bi-pod, my Maxpedition backpacks, and if I have to; a tree limb and trunk. You all can have your sticks and tri-pods and other things.. I was never meant to use them.

Practice, practice, and a little more practice! An almost invaluable tool in your arsenal! Great for handgun hunting as well! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.