BH 209 shot routine

Tracker12

Bought a can of BH 209 to try. I kind of got mixed results. it loaded well, kept the crud down but my groups were only at 2" at 100 yards. I did not get a chance to experiment with different weight charges so I may not have found the sweet spot. What is your shot routine with this powder. I would shoot swab turn patch swab again them load an shoot.

Bought a can of BH 209 to try. I kind of got mixed results. it loaded well, kept the crud down but my groups were only at 2" at 100 yards. I did not get a chance to experiment with different weight charges so I may not have found the sweet spot. What is your shot routine with this powder. I would shoot swab turn patch swab again them load an shoot.

Its not necessary to swab between shots with BH209. Its just one of the great things about the propellent.

I just finished with some extensive testing (I HATE testing) of bullet loading forces using BH209. There is no significent difference loading the 2nd shot or the 10th shot with the force to move the bullet down the barrel. So when they (Western) or anyone else says that there's no need to swab, they're correct.

There's no way in your post to identify how well you expected the rifle would group or, what you are capable of shooting or, how well you shot with your previous propellent. Is it the best that your rifle or you can do? What size group were you shooting before? You need to find the time for checking various charges and not just depend on one shooting session.

Here's another little known issue that some shooters may, or may not have when trying something new. It all has to do with the shooter mentally knowing that he/she is doing something different. You've changed something and change isn't easy for the mind to accept readily or quickly at times. You made a change and mentally you knew that while trying something different. I'd give it more time on the range trying to "tweek" your load and you'll get more comfortable with the change.

NOTES:
  • The testing that I preformed, was completed with precision force measuring equipment and NOT a bathroom scale, etc. In my profession, I've measured tens of thousands of force measurements, with may different precision tools. It is not as easy as one might think to be accurate.
  • Mentally changing things can be hard because of habit. Habit can be related to having done and/or used something in the past and may or may not have had to have been repetative. A simple example of habits and our mental ability to accept and/or change, can be as simple as putting on your pants in the morning. Notice which leg you put in your pants first. Then for the next week, put the opposite leg in first. If you put yourself to this test, be honest and if you even attempt to put the wrong leg in first, don't wear any pants that day.....

First post pretty much says it all. My first try at BH 209 I got groups in the 2" range with an off flyer. I was at a consistent MOA or under with T7 using 90 grains and custom 25ACP breech plug, T7 ML primers, barnes MZ expanders. ML has a Ziess 3X10 scope on Leupold duel dovetail mounts. Good solid bench and bags. To get good groups I was always consistent with my loading procedures.

This was the reason for the question on BH 209 and any loading/swabbing methods that may improve grouping. I did not have time to vari my shot charges. That will come on my next session. I also ordered a new hinge pin just to take that out of the causes since I have also experienced an occassional flyer with my old loads.

I've shot the Encore platform rifles since I could get my hands on one. Also BH209 when it first came available and I could get my hands on that too. All of my Encores and my current Pro Hunter have seemed to like the 110grs VOLUME charge. (Actually, I use the conversion of (.7) and I weigh all my charges to 75grs by WEIGHT, which amounts to 107grs VOLUME). I also shoot Barnes but, its the 250gr TMZ. I haven't shot the expander in quite some time. I prefer the TMZ and its boattail design, especially for long range.

I shoot a lot. Not quite as much as I used to, at least not this year but, on average shoot a couple thousand or more rounds each year. Yes, I have to replace breech plugs from time to time.

One suggestion and something that I have very good results with, is to seat the bullet on the charge HARD. I have an average bullet seating pressure of between 100 and 105# of force. Two hands and a "T" handle and I thump it pretty hard. Much harder than if I were using pellets of any kind.

My current setup........ T/C Pro Hunter, 209x50, 75grs WEIGHT of BH209, CCI209M primers and Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets w/supplied sabots. This Pro Hunter took a 2x hinge pin right when it came out of the box and before being shot, as even the 1x was to loose. I have a 2# trigger spring, HD locking bolt spring, HD fireing pin spring and both the 44# and 52# hammer springs and also an installed trigger over travel screw. Sear is polished and there is no creap or over travel. I use the 52# hammer spring for target and the 44# spring for hunting, as the 52# spring puts it "on the edge" for hunting by reducing the trigger pull by a couple tenths. Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50.

I never have fliers, except when I KNOW its my fault (explainable). I did a poll on another sites forum and only 8.5% of shooters responded that they have frequent UNEXPLAINED fliers.

You'll get it dialed in.

Who does the work on your gun or do you do it yourself. I want to at least get my hammer changed out and will probably change a few spring at the same time. Hinge pin is on its way. I hope to pick up a batch on the TMZ bullets this week if I can find them at a local dealer. The TMZ may tighten the group up but the MZ's sure do knock a whitetail down where they stand.

When I talk about fliers I am not talking about way out there shots but ones that are 2-3 inches off the mark. These get especially troubling when I know the hold and shot were good.

Who does the work on your gun or do you do it yourself. I want to at least get my hammer changed out and will probably change a few spring at the same time. Hinge pin is on its way. I hope to pick up a batch on the TMZ bullets this week if I can find them at a local dealer. The TMZ may tighten the group up but the MZ's sure do knock a whitetail down where they stand.

When I talk about fliers I am not talking about way out there shots but ones that are 2-3 inches off the mark. These get especially troubling when I know the hold and shot were good.

I do all my own work on my Encore Platform rifles and have for some time. However, the trigger work can be, well lets just say for some, pretty darn hard to impossible for others. You have to be able to work with fine small parts and follow directions to the "T". With the HD locking bolt spring, it takes 3 hands, one to try to hold the bolt/spring back, one to locate the pin and another to insert the pin. Wife helps me, in trade for me doing the dishes ... LOL

All the parts you need, Mike has in stock. He also has the FREE downloadable directions for the trigger work on his site... Mike Bellm TCs - Other Shops Supporting TCs & Trigger Work Just read all the information on the menu on the left side of the page. If you feel uncomfortable doing the trigger work yourself, Jim does good work and has a very quick turn around time. Recommended on Mike's site, Index.htm Not sure but, I think Jim charges around $75 for the trigger work and a trigger over travel screw. I know a few people that were uncomfortable doing their own and sent their FRAME ONLY out to Jim. Changing out out of the hammer spring is EASY....... REAL EASY. Mike has the directions on his site for that also.

If you decide to tackle the entire job yourself, you MUST download the directions from Mike's site and follow them. If you hone the sear, you only use a very fine hone just to take out any machine marks. READ the information on the Bellm site. Mike knows more about the Encore platform rifles than anyone else in North America.......... and that includes T/C!
  • Trigger spring $7.95
  • Hinge Pin $9.95
  • HD locking bolt spring $2.95
  • HD fireing pin spring $2.95
  • HD hammer springs (2pk) $7.95
Doing your own work, you'd have about $32 invested plus shipping.

Good luck with your decision. I can assure you, these items ALL contribute to increasing the accuracy of your rifle and the tightening up of your groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.