BH 209 by Weight or Volume

shootinwv

Just starting muzzleloading and not sure whether I should measure BH by weight or by volume. I was going to start at 120 grains and work my way down until I found the best groups.

I'm pretty much an advocate of weighing with most subs but BH209 is an exception. It meters and measures so well by volume that weighing it will produce so little gain it just isn't worthwhile.

But the ratio of weight in grains = .7 x volume in grains is close enough and I believe what Western put out for guidance.

I shoot 88g. weighed through my Knight .52 LRH and it shoots great and matches up perfectly with the drop compensator on my Burris Euro Diamond scope with the 350g. expander out to 250yds. I havent shot the 300yd mark yet bu t im sure it would be close as all the others are almost exact. sighted in at 100 the next mark is 150, then 200, then 250, it makes for a great combo. Ive only shot the CCI209M primers that they recommend using, Ive heard there is a good chance of hang fires with other primers

I use the Win209 which are a bit weaker and have so far had no problems. Have some Cheddites that I'm going to give a try. The CCI209M and Federal 209A are almost dead even in power according to Bridge's testing. PERFORMANCESHOP

He added the CCI 209M and Remington STS near the page bottom.

Last edited:
Either will work. I shoot a Savage Smokeless ML and am used to weighing. Please don't start at 120 (way too hot to start). Start with 90 then work up. Most people are finding 100-105 to be a good volume - balancing accuracy with fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.