Bfr 50 ae

NYLES

Well I ran across a BFR in 50AE 7.5" barrel at I price I couldnt resist($580 to the door, NIB), So now what do I need to know while I wait on it? Ive ordered a couple boxes of Magnum Research 300 gr Hp. Just enough to zero it and have enough to maybe POP a whitetail before the seasons out. I also spoke with magnum research about converting it to 500 JRH in the future was quoted $240 total for that if I decide I want to do it.

I plain on staying with the open sights for now.

Any of you guys that use such a hand cannon all and any tips welcome.

Im pretty darn good with all my smaller pistols 357's,357 Sig, 40SW, just never played with anything like this...hell I aint ever even picked up one...but I bought it!

I had when in 45-70. I ran hot loads in it. Change the grips and you will love it. The only reason I sold mine. I got into long range shooting.

The guns are great.

Have fun If you havent shot it yet. Its not going to be as bad as you think.

I had a .50 AE in the Desert Eagle, man was that a fun pistol. The 300 grain Gold Dot was designed for the AE IIRC.

I currently have the BFR in .500 S&W, with no brake, MAN can those 500grain SP's kick!....but boy is it fun:D

Start with the AE & make your decision on the level of recoil. It will dispatch a whitetail with no problems & the gun is heavy enough to mitigate the recoil some. Stepping up will provide more POP.... on both ends!

Congrats on a fine pistol.

I have shot the BFR in 45/70 & it was a 10" barreled pussycat. Very easy on the shooter, I don't know, however, what exactly the ammo recipe was. I do know they were handloads & suspect the were of the low pressure variety. Still worth the >:D

Much easier to handle than the .500 S&W version..

I LOVE it! Got alot a bang fer my bucks in this one, was a lil surprised first few shots....plenty a gun for what I wanna do with it!

I have the exact same gun and have done alot of load testing ranging from 300 gr jackets bullets to 440 gr Cast performance hard cast bullets.

My 50 AE BFR much prefers the heavy hard case bullets. SInce we can not crimp these cases I seat mine to about 75 thou short of the end of the cylinder. I found quickly that with the heavy bullets, there is a velocity limit you have to stay under or you will start having bullet slippage and the bullets will start to move out and bind up the cylinder.

I load the 440 gr hard case to 1200 fps. Its very comfortable to shoot, a handgun but not painful to shoot in any way. In fact much more comfortable then shooting full tilt 325 gr factory loads!!! Just more of a push.

At this velocity, bullet slippage is very minimal and velocity consistancy is still good. Go over this point and your bullets will not sit still.

I have shot several 500 S&W handguns and they are to much for me as far as shooting comfort goes with top end loads. You can reduce velocity in that chambering but what would be the point!!! THe 50 AE was about right and is about the max I want to deal with and will do anything I could ever want it to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.