BF Arms Grand Island Ne

Varmiter71

I grew up in Grand Island Ne and I didn't know until recently that there was a specialty pistol that was made there.
Now I have picked up a few since then but information is very scarce.
So I was wondering if anyone had some information about them or even just stories of them in use
Thanks

I have one of the early ones. Exterior finish and design, some may call crude, but it was really functional for the intended purpose of IHMSA. It is a 32-20/30-20, .308 bore. It will do anything the 30x221 and it's variants will do.

I have one of the later models built by EAB Co. It was also a 30-20, but now sports a 7US barrel. There are some modernized up grades along with a more pleasing fit and finish.

I myself preferred the BF over the MOA, even though the MOA could handle higher pressure cartridges. IMHO accuracy is equal between the two, sans a time span of the EAB having some barrel issues.

History and in-depth info into the BF history could probably be found at the IHMSA web site. There should be some around that actually knew Bert and Faye Stringfellow, none of us seem to be getting any younger.

I have one of the early ones. Exterior finish and design, some may call crude, but it was really functional for the intended purpose of IHMSA. It is a 32-20/30-20, .308 bore. It will do anything the 30x221 and it's variants will do.

I have one of the later models built by EAB Co. It was also a 30-20, but now sports a 7US barrel. There are some modernized up grades along with a more pleasing fit and finish.

I myself preferred the BF over the MOA, even though the MOA could handle higher pressure cartridges. IMHO accuracy is equal between the two, sans a time span of the EAB having some barrel issues.

History and in-depth info into the BF history could probably be found at the IHMSA web site. There should be some around that actually knew Bert and Faye Stringfellow, none of us seem to be getting any younger.
Boy that brings back pleasant shooting memories. Shot rifle and pistol silhouette at Alliance NE in the early 1980's. Remember the BF Pistol although never owned one. The T/C Contender then was reasonably priced and a new barrel was around $100 so shooting in the big bore and .22 categories was doable even for a Ranch hand. When the Ag economy went belly up a job and move ended that form of shooting for me. Off hand shooting with Ruger .357 Blackhawk 7 1/2" bbl w cast 200gr cast bullets was fun. Knocking a steel ram down at 200 meters with such a rig was a challenge but quite do able. Sorry not the info you wanted but a side trip.

I've got two. One is a 7mm Super Mag and the other is a 32/20. Plan is to rebarrel them since neither cartridge really turns my crank. I haven't 100% decided what they're going to be yet. Thinking 6mm-30x30 and a 17 super jet.

I have had a few and still have one.

Have had the 6.5BRM and a 12" 445 super mag. Still have a 15" 445 supermag.

They are some good shooting guns and probably a touch better than the tc platform in terms of accuracy.

The ejector is a nice touch.

I grew up in Grand Island Ne and I didn't know until recently that there was a specialty pistol that was made there.
So I was wondering if anyone had some information about them or even just stories of them in use
Thanks
Kearney native here. I've never heard of them either....

Thanks
Don't know if you familiar with Pistol silhouette shooting if so sorry to repeat stuff you know. Big bore pistol was/is shot at 4 distances. Steel cutouts of chickens (50 meters) pigs 100 meters, turkeys at 150 and rams at 200. Banks of ten at each distance. Scoring simple enough knock the target over to score. 40 being the perfect score. IHMSA the governing body established the rules. Categories for production (as made by gun co) with revolvers having their own class. Standing and freestyle we called creedmore which is laying on your back resting the pistol against a leg. The BF pistol meet the production category as produced. Modify the sights, grips or barrel and the gun had to go to the "unlimited" category. Unlimited was dominated by customized XP100's. 7TCU, 7-08, .308 and others. Back when I was shooting this was a open iron sights.

IMHO, what has basically done IHMSA in the equipment race over came the game, as many games/sports do. A friend of mine and also an IHMSA shooter made the comment once to the effect, "a perfect score should almost be impossible".
I can recall when ever a 40x40 was shot an announcement was made over the PA and many congrats to the shooter. Now, you almost have to shoot a 40x40+10 to get in a shoot off. A lot of new shooters get discouraged about equipment and cost of said equipment, even with a fairly good spread of classes.
I have also seen the "new" younger generation expect instant results and expect to shoot as well as many old hands at the game.

There has to be literally tons of specialized equipment in storage in the back of closets and safes. I know I am guilty of my share.

IMHO, what has basically done IHMSA in the equipment race over came the game, as many games/sports do. A friend of mine and also an IHMSA shooter made the comment once to the effect, "a perfect score should almost be impossible".
I can recall when ever a 40x40 was shot an announcement was made over the PA and many congrats to the shooter. Now, you almost have to shoot a 40x40+10 to get in a shoot off. A lot of new shooters get discouraged about equipment and cost of said equipment, even with a fairly good spread of classes.
I have also seen the "new" younger generation expect instant results and expect to shoot as well as many old hands at the game.

There has to be literally tons of specialized equipment in storage in the back of closets and safes. I know I am guilty of my share.
Been away from the sport for a while. The original intention for "production" was to allow shooters to use what they had as opposed to equipment race. The handicap system was to accommodate all levels of skill and allow success at the shooters level. Sounds like there have been changes.

The most information that I received about the bf arms pistol actually came from ebco but unfortunately I don't have the email anymore.
From what I understand is bf arms made 100 IHMSA serial number so that they could be considered in the production class.

The most information that I received about the bf arms pistol actually came from ebco but unfortunately I don't have the email anymore.
From what I understand is bf arms made 100 IHMSA serial number so that they could be considered in the production class.
Some place in my library there is a small book with a pamphlet on the BF pistols. Has been way to long for me to quote anything from it with out it being in front of me.
As mentioned recall BF stood for Bert&Fay Stringfellow.
I have a couple of two digit serial number guns from them, I know the made over 100 because a buddy has one 100 over mine.
Also have a couple of the ones made by EAB Co. The EAB can be switched to a carbine with an adapter pretty easy.

I've got two. One is a 7mm Super Mag and the other is a 32/20. Plan is to rebarrel them since neither cartridge really turns my crank. I haven't 100% decided what they're going to be yet. Thinking 6mm-30x30 and a 17 super jet.
I know this is an old thread, but I sent my 7mm Super Mag to Gary Reeder to be rechambered for his 7GNR.
This is a great round and all you do is fire a 7-30 Waters in it to form. The 7-30 is so accurate that I don't load
the 7GNR much but it is a great deer pistol in either.

Here's a few of mine

Attachments

• 20231115_151651.jpeg
    20231115_151651.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 43