Between a Savage and a Bergara....

We sell a lot of the Bergara rifles at our shop which also has a range attached 25 & 100 yard. We commonly see 1/2" or sometimes better groups with them at 100 yards. We also have a monthly alumni shoot for our members with steel going out to a mile. The Bergara rifles perform out here very well also and for the money we feel they are really hard to beat. Not saying anything negative about Savage.

The first one is 130gr Berger handloads, the three in the black marker are Barnes 127gr lrx handloads and those above the Barnes is a five shot group with factory ammo.
2039EFE7-33A2-48E4-97D2-22162F6099F3.jpeg
6514E6E8-D98E-434A-B5B9-85E761D6BEA8.jpeg
6514E6E8-D98E-434A-B5B9-85E761D6BEA8.jpeg
4DA832C7-4B64-4D26-BD3A-4BCF57813E90.jpeg
Both of those groups are under .5 moa.

Last edited:
My last outing with my HMR put 4 rounds of Hornady 143 ELDs into .44" at 200 yards. I had one additional round that opened the group up to .75". Not sure if it was me pulling the shot or a gremlin that snuck in there!
That being said I had Savage rifles that shot very well out of the box. I have yet to hear about a Savage that didn't shoot. And I'm sure their long range rifles get even more attention at the factory.

Savage rifles' out of the box accuracy is hard to beat and they are by far the most DIY friendly when you are ready to customized it yourself.
Wow you always beat me to the draw :)

Out of five savages so far I have customized myself I consider anything 1/2" or bigger something that needs work. That said I have seen 7stw and other's get very nice group's from the bergara as well. I think either will do you right accuracy wise. If you are a hand's on guy that wants to swap or headspace barrels, change bolt handles or recoil lugs, or swap bolt faces/trigger's. Stocks are pillared and easy to replace or bed. The savage shines with part's galore, I consider them awesome accurate and not polished high class, or elite (kinda like me :) ). Funny though they always draw shooter's over at the range that want to check them out or talk. Dave

Wow you always beat me to the draw :)

Out of five savages so far I have customized myself I consider anything 1/2" or bigger something that needs work. That said I have seen 7stw and other's get very nice group's from the bergara as well. I think either will do you right accuracy wise. If you are a hand's on guy that wants to swap or headspace barrels, change bolt handles or recoil lugs, or swap bolt faces/trigger's. Stocks are pillared and easy to replace or bed. The savage shines with part's galore, I consider them awesome accurate and not polished high class, or elite (kinda like me :) ). Funny though they always draw shooter's over at the range that want to check them out or talk. Dave

Dave,

L 😇L! Well said.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.