Better long range target gun?

300-shooter

What would be a better long range target gun 1000 yards +, the 300 ultra or the 30-378 weatherby? and why? also what would be the max muzzle velocity on both these guns?

Left of the why part, either one will do the job without a doubt. I can't tell alot of differance myself when u weigh out cost and performance, i havent set them side by side to test, but i always pick up my .300 when i reach for one. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in on that....

30-378 is about 100-150fps faster than the .300 RUM. My .300 rum groups better than the weatherby, maybe because of less recoil, maybe not. Again, i always pick up my .300RUM first.

30-378 - 200gr/3160fps & 300RUM - 200gr/3100fps. I agree with some others go w/300RUM, for me easier to reload.

Between the choices that you have listed, I would certainly say go with the 300 RUM. However, if you are strictly looking for just a target gun to get you to a 1000 yds, then go with one of the short action 6.5 rounds like the 260. It will cost considerably less and you will be more comfortable shooting multiple rounds. Just a thought. I do understand the desire for more horsepower though.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.