Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

Take a look at this 6mm:
From Sherman´s site ******115 Berger Hunting VLD 55.1 grains RL 23 pressure found at 3422 fps 2.333" BTO******

This cartridge implies having to buy/rent reamer, gunsmith services, new barrel, new brass, dies, etc.
Looks good to me.
V

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that some 6mm, particularly those with bench rest roots and wildcats, do not feed well in repeaters or they need magazine mods which could lead to failure.

That's a lot to ask out of a 6mm. I'd go larger caliber, especially with a tough 350lb goat.

For a once in a lifetime Goat, I'd consider a 280AI or 7SAUM. However, I need something softer on my shoulder right now. A really good hit with a mid-range 6mm is better than a miss or poor shot placement with a hot rod 7mm. YMMV

I didnt read every post so if it's been covered, sorry. I would step up to 6.5 like a Lapua or Creed. Can always go light for everyday stuff and range time with the 100, 120s. Then give it your "legs" with the 140s. Recoil isn't any more than the 243 with the light bullets. I think it's a more versatile choice when you include goats. Just my 2c

That's a lot to ask out of a 6mm. I'd go larger caliber, especially with a tough 350lb goat.
Totally agree. I used a 338 Lapua to take my mountain goat. He was dead before I could rack another round. My buddy shot his with a 180 VLD in his 7 Rem Mag. Took longer to die and went off the side of the mountain. They spent all day finding and extracting that billy.

For a once in a lifetime Goat, I'd consider a 280AI or 7SAUM. However, I need something softer on my shoulder right now. A really good hit with a mid-range 6mm is better than a miss or poor shot placement with a hot rod 7mm. YMMV
Then don't miss. They're a tough animal that likes to crawl and fall off cliffs and destroy themselves. You want something to anchor them.

257wbymag. Little recoil. 100 grainers at 3600 fps. Hits like lightning bolt from Zeus. I've killed around 60 deer with one. One did go 20 yards somehow. Makes lung soup in the chest. Roy's favorite one. Even used it on elk.
Shep

SidPost have a look at the New Lithgow in either 243 or 6cred that is if you can get one in USA
I have found that the Lithgow out shoots Tika, Sako,and a number of other makers and is now my go to rifle for commercial kulls

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
Then you need a 6 creedmor

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.