Better 6mm (not 243W) for hunting? Which one?

I've also shared on this site I haven't got the accuracy I need for 1000k br matches with rl26 in any of my rifles. The 243ai I'm using h1000. In the 6.5 Creed I use h4350 at 2850fps.

My last ladder with my 243ai. Ohler 35p. 300yards
Shep
Shep, I notice you are running 215's in the AI load, while I don't normally run them in smaller cases I found the 215's to really lower the ES in some loads using RL 26, (.243's & 6.5x284's)

I've never seen a powder wake up a cartridge so much as the midsize 6s with rl26.
Shep

Yes, I use both R-25 and R-26. Did you ever try superformance? Or do you even use rounds like the 87 gr V-max? I don't push things to the max. I just use a 26 inch 243 Rem sps Varminter. I go for an exceptable speed. 9.125 twist kinda limited to less than 105's

The 108 Berger should shoot out of that. I think it's the most accurate 6mm bullet they make. Respectable bc. Super easy to tune. I've ran them to 1000 yards and won with them.
Shep

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid
Try a 2506 great deer and pronghorn caliber

My 243 Winchester is long gone. I want another 6mm mid-range variant mainly for hunting and pest elimination. I'm thinking about a 6XC but, I'm uncommitted at this time.

I do not want a true wildcat or barrel burner. I'm not a fan of Short Magnums or 'boutique' cartridges from manufacturers (i.e. Ruger, Nosler, etc.). I don't expect to see velocities with heavier options above 3,000FPS in a 24"~26" barrel. Something that won't excessively heat or otherwise lead to short barrel life (throat erosion / cracking) is important to me. I prefer to stick with something with factory brass if not factory loaded ammunition. I can reload so, something with limited support like a 6x47L is a possibility.

For hunting options, deer mainly but, I intend to take a Pronghorn and possibly a Mountain Goat so, I need something with "legs". Pest elimination is mainly Coyotes and 'feral' domestic dogs but, I do see feral hogs occasionally. Reasonable recoil (i.e. not excessive) with weight on the lighter side (6#~7# no scope) is important as my dominant shoulder has had surgery already and is a bit 'soft'. So with a bit more oomph than a 243 Winchester but, not a barrel burner without excessive recoil, what would you recommend? 6XC, 6 Creedmoor, 6x47L, 6mm Remington or, ...?

TIA,
Sid

I am very with happy with 6XC. 700 Rem /pac nor 24 inch barrel, MagPul stock. Sub 1/2 Moa and use it to hunt deer with Berger 105 VLD's. . Load any own and have bought some great BERGER hunting ammo from COPPER CREEK.

I can't believe no one mentions the 6-284 105-110 grain bullets 3400 FPS plus

More umph then the 243....243AI. I ran several 243's for PRS but that destroyed the barrel too fast. I need a better designed 6mm case for that. But for hunting the 243 was quite good. Running 108's at 3100 in a 26' was easy. However for hunting I'd probably do a 6x284 for the brass availability in a long action. If I wanted a SA round I'd do the 6PRC. Several people are now running 6 prc and it's on my radar for a long range wolf rifle. But we are talking about running 105-110 grainers in the 3300 plus realm for ultra flat shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.