Best youth (7 y/o) pack for long back country packs

codyadams

So my 7 year old son is a tough little guy, this last scouting season he went on a 3 day pack trip with us, where we did 3ish miles back in, over 1000 feet elevation gain, packing his own sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cloths, hygiene items and some food, about 10ish lbs in his school back pack, without a complaint, and still said it was fun and wants to go every time I go. He also went back in on a 2.5 mile hike with significant elevation and rough sidehilling rocky country to help pack out my bull elk, again, without a complaint. He has been on two or three other easier scout trips as well, where we only went a mile or two and only did about 500 feet elevation, but they were still 3 day trips. So, he has earned himself a quality pack.

Right now we are looking at the Osprey Ace 50, but was wondering if there are any other good options that people have used and have experience with. I want a quality pack for him, I use a mystery ranch Beartooth 80, and I essentially want him to have a smaller version of that. With his drive and passion he is already showing for this, I have a strong feeling this is going to be a life long endeavor, so I want to start him out good. Next year I plan on having him go up with me on my back country mule deer hunt as well, and might have him pack a backstrap or something ha ha

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Deuter is what my son used. He is an avid hiker and we bought a similar pack when he was about 10. He's logged many miles in it up until about 17 yo. The back pack is very adjustable for growing kids. Just make sure you keep the pack weight ratio appropriate for the kids weight. On one of his troops long distance hikes one of the other boys had a very, very heavy pack. My son swapped packs with him. Well 15 miles in rugged hiking my son had fractured his foot- it was weight related.

He's the dude in the kilt. His favorite hiking attire :)
AZYeaxB.jpg

We ended up going with Osprey's, one for my son and one for my older daughter. I know their stuff is good quality because we have a baby carry pack made by them, and comfort is close to my mystery ranch. I can throw my 18 lb little girl in it with all the "baby" gear and some snacks and water for myself and the kids, probably around 35 lbs, and my wife can hike with that all day long. And it's obviously comfy for my daughter too, she loves it, she can be fussy and upset, soon as we put her in the pack and start hiking she is quiet and happy, just looking around, and usually falls asleep, as you can see below!

Took the kids out for a quick winter hike yesterday with their packs, they love them!! I forgot to get photos of them with the packs, we may go out on a rabbit hunt tomorrow so if we do I'll get some pics of both of them in their packs. Until then, here are some of our summer hikes!
20200817_120901.jpg
20200621_184431.jpg
20200621_184519.jpg

I know this is long dead, but for anyone looking, our 7yo loves her REI Tarn 40 - we did a 5 night, 60mi backpack this summer and she carried her bag + weight the whole time.