best western US hunting round

Thats what I said. The net in general is so conducive to people who dont do something labeling those who do as immoral idjits. Garcia was very cordial in making his point which I find very refreshing in these days. This is probably the most cordial website out there. Kinda hyard to bitch about LR when your a MEMBER of an LR site lol.

Whew! I thought I was going blind :D ... thanks for clearing that up for me. lightbulbCheers!

Ed

cfvickers,

Your dope for 900 is inconstant with anything I can find. My 300 throws a 180 gr accubond out the muzzle at 3050. My elevation I practice at is 5600 and I am in a very dry climate. I am not seeing the same energy levels you are. But I have seen some information does conflict. Hornady makes good ammo, but neither of my 700s like the SST. That is a hot round but it just does not group well. Both my rifles group better at lower velocities, mostly right at 2900 or so with a 180

The last factory ammo I bought for my 300 win mag, and it will tell you how long it has been since I did, was Hornady Heavy Mag with a 180 interlock BTSP. Just off of memory I put a close estimate I think of the BC (.486) in the berger ballistic calculator at 3100 FPS. That stuff said 3120 and across a chronograph it was doing 3110 from my 24 inch barrel, and I bought 5 boxes of ammo from that lot because I was getting the most amazing and amazingly consistent 1 single hole groups unless I screwed them up (three shots not 5, never tried 5 at the time) at 100 yards I had ever seen. My SD on the ammo was about 8 and ES was right at 14. So I stuck with it for a while. that is where I got the numbers. They may be a little off but it was intended to be generic. I realize not all factory 180 grain 300 win mag ammo will achieve this. But any way.
I completely understand your choice not to take a shot on a good bull past 650, a lot can go wrong past that, and crippling a beautiful animal like that would be sickening. I have passed on a few shots on very nice deer with mine because I was afraid if I did hit it it would not be a kill shot. I just understood you to be saying that it would not kill the elk, and to that I was just saying the required energy is there, it is just a matter of getting a good hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts