Best Way to Sell Personal Build Rifle

Muddyboots

So I have a 300 WSM I "assembled"; 700SA 300 WSM SPS, 26" Sendero contour 1:10, short throated to compensate for 2.90" max magazine COAL which has worked out well, Magpul stock, Magpul detachable AICS or standard bottom. Standard Rem trigger.

My issue is the product safety liability that once I sell it, it can bite back later. Even if s gunsmith looks over, the product safety will always stay with me.

So I am thinking better to part out plus I think I can get better return.

So what do you think?

Maybe sign a bill of sale stating "as is and no liability"? Of course parting out would be the safest way, or trade among other members.

Its a Preferred Barrel in Remage with about 400 down it.
I would think that the liability would remain with the barrel maker then. Could outright sell the whole rifle with the agreement to have it headspace checked. That way you should be covered.

I worked in product safety as part of my EHS corporate responsibilities and after further thought, the ONLY safe way is to part it out. You can never get indemnified for "defect", "negligence", "should have known" etc

The headspace is simple, but the assembly, action etc is always will be problematic. PS is why 5 lb triggers, non adjust and so on. Its a black hole of complicated laws that it us a wonder anybody can stay in business making a product.

Part out it is. Sometimes you have to read it to confirm thought process.

Or shove it back corner of safe!

So I have a 300 WSM I "assembled"; 700SA 300 WSM SPS, 26" Sendero contour 1:10, short throated to compensate for 2.90" max magazine COAL which has worked out well, Magpul stock, Magpul detachable AICS or standard bottom. Standard Rem trigger.

My issue is the product safety liability that once I sell it, it can bite back later. Even if s gunsmith looks over, the product safety will always stay with me.

So I am thinking better to part out plus I think I can get better return.

So what do you think?
Hey Muddyboots
I am trying to think why you would bring up this subject on "Product Liability" for selling one of you firearms. I have worked for International & National Insurance companies in a upper management positions in their "Loss Control Risk Improvement" divisions.
If there was some reason for a Product Liability Suit due to an issue with a firearm the parties filing suit would not look at a private seller of a firearm. They would be looking at the manufacture. If there was a firearm involved for the suit they would look at everyone that "Touched" the firearm including every part bought and installed.
At this time there are laws in place that prevent Firearms manufactures from being "Sued" this mostly pertains to "Criminal Activities", but there has been multi million $ suits in the past. One to bring up was Remington and the "Safety" on model 700.
I don't want to get into a thousand page dissertation, but a private seller - selling to another private person is not going to gain any attention for a private person to be sued due to a "Product Liability" of a firearm. One the thoughts mentioned of "Piece/Parting" out the rifle/firearm out. You will have the same liability as the "Whole" firearm. Selling parts that you have puts you in the "Chain of Command" on handling the items.
If you are a manufacture you have the Product Labiality coverage. If you are a Retailer you most likely covered by the manufacture.
If you are a Gunsmith and registered as a LLC (Limited Lability Company) means that the owners cannot be "Personally" held responsible. Your business may be finically responsible, but not you. This would most likely come into GROSS Negligence cases. Attorneys only want to take cases where there are DEEP pockets like manufactures. They are not going to waste their time trying to put suit on a induvial.
So Hunters/Shooters do not worry about selling you firearm and "Product Liability" on this forum or any other forum or to one of your friends.

Just over thinking a potential risk in a litigious crazy society is a normal thought these days. Thanks for detailed input and explanation.