Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

So with your logic, is Gunwerks worth the extra money and if so what specifically makes it worth that? I see you work there so I appreciate your expertise. Also great advise on your other input, thanks.

He's actually the owner of Gunwerks :)

I own a Gunwerks magnus in 300 RUM. It's an awesome rifle. I think what I enjoy the most about it is that it is a dependable and repeatable system.

As you've seen with this thread, there are tons of excellent gunsmiths that can likely build you the rifle you're seeking. That's the great thing about going with a custom rifle- you can make it exactly how you want it.

Really great advice, much appreciated. I love the Proof Research stocks more than any others I have seen. Gunwerks stocks don't look all that good to me and I'd say the same with McWhorter. Although the looks of a stock isn't a big deal do you think Proof Research sells their stocks and McWhorter could use theirs for my gun? Thanks!

if you like Proof Research you might check with Evolved Ballistics. They sell Proof rifles and will break in the barrel and develop loads for the specific rifle you buy. And give you all the load data. I know @joelbiltz did that and is very pleased with them.

For $5k you have a LOT of options. As you've seen, haha. In fact, for that much there really isn't much you couldn't do on just the rifle. It seems your optics budget is separate from the $5k? I admit I haven't read all posts. Regardless, I'd put quite a bit of focus and money into optics and accessories. If you have a $5k super precise super accurate rifle with a range finder that's hard to establish ranges and scope rings that don't hold your scope tight and a scope with 90% tracking then the rifle is moot, might as well have spent $300 on it. You can make a cheap rifle pretty good with a good scope and mounts, but you can't go the other way.

For $5k you have a LOT of options. As you've seen, haha. In fact, for that much there really isn't much you couldn't do on just the rifle. It seems your optics budget is separate from the $5k? I admit I haven't read all posts. Regardless, I'd put quite a bit of focus and money into optics and accessories. If you have a $5k super precise super accurate rifle with a range finder that's hard to establish ranges and scope rings that don't hold your scope tight and a scope with 90% tracking then the rifle is moot, might as well have spent $300 on it. You can make a cheap rifle pretty good with a good scope and mounts, but you can't go the other way.

Completely agree, thanks for advice!

I didn't read all 13 pages of this thread so hopefully I don't go over something someone already has. One of the keys to precision shooting his precision ammunition. If you don't reload you may or may not get the accuracy you're looking for because of factory ammo. A custom rifle will do you very little good if you don't feed it the right ammunition. You might get lucky for one to shoot factory ammo but what if you can't get enough of the same lot number? Having custom ammunition made for a rifle is extremely expensive. Last time I looked into it I was going to be charged $350 for load work and another $5-$6 per round for 100 rounds of ammo which was the minimum. At that rate you're going to spend a fortune trying to get yourself comfortable at the ranges your rifle is capable of shooting. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us updated on your endeavor. We've all been in the starting blocks and it's tough to get rolling.

Sakos new S20 rifle ? Just saw it in my latest issue of one of my mag subscriptions. Very interesting rifle system that takes some of the best features of Sakos TRG sniper rig along with some parts ideas from Tikka . The price point is way below your max at around 1600.00 . A fantastic bargain by todays standards ! Too many nice features to go over on here. I think it would be worth a look . It is available in 300wm , as well as some more modern cartridges like the 6.5 prc.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
Dan, rhe Proof Elevation MTR checks all your boxes. At $3k you'll have plenty left over for quality rings and glass.

Hear are my thoughts. Pick a builder of choice. I prefer Kirby Allen and pierce engineering. Kirby has a extremely large back log. Totally worth the wait for some of his rounds. But for a 300 win I would pick any good builder mentioned and have it built. Then pick your scope and get it all setup. Take to the range and do the barrel break in with factory ammo. Clean it nicely. Then send it off to hammer bullets and get your custom load work and ammo. Then you have the same turn key 1000 yard as Gunwerks with less money. Just my thoughts.

Not to muddy the waters here, but since you've been given a lot of choices as to custom builders who are all top shelf craftsmen, I'd be remiss in my responsibility to a fellow shooter if I didn't mention Tactical Rifles in sunny Florida. They've built two rifles for me, an M-40 A5 in 300WSM and a 6.5 Grendel, AR-15 platform. The M-40 is just stupid accurate, .3 5 shot groups with HSM factory loads, 1/4 inch with hand loads. The Grendel is big fun from a small but amazingly accurate round, consistent 5 shot groups at .4-.5 inches at 100 yds. Here's the mud: Recently bought a Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC. First group for record, after a couple of hundred break in rounds, gave me 5 shots at 100 yards in .248 inches, 140 grain ELD-MATCH over 55.7 grains of RL-26, CCI BR-2 primers. Rifle was bought for $2,300 right off the shelf! Most accurate rifle I've ever owned and I haven't shot a group that tight since my all expenses paid tour of S. E. Asia in 1965. Do the math, I'm 75 and have no business shooting that well at my age. David Rooney is the British gentleman who owns T. R. and he's available and will suit your every need. Cool guy, excellent craftsman. Good luck and hope you get as lucky as I did.

Several Factory rifles come with test targets ie. Bergara, Fierce all the ammo used is factory loads great if you dont reload. The custom route is endlesss, many top notch smiths out there, I would advise you to research the internet with google, before giving any person any money.Good luck.

I still say build it yourself with pre-fit barrel for Bighorn Origin, Defiance, Terminus, Stiller, Kelby, etc. You can pick the action you want, find a pre-fit barrel, order a stock with Manners, McMillan, Grayboe, HS Precision etc., add the bottom metal you want and put it together. It would be no different than paying a Custom maker, the difference you save that money on them and get the benefit of doing it yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.