Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan

I have two Gunwerks rifles and they are phenomenal hunting rigs. Both rifles shoot 1/2 MOA and came that way right out of the box. You wont get one for 5K ready to shoot with a scope and all but the rifles are fantastic. Just my opinion. I have never built a custom rifle so I cannot speak to that but I am sure there are plenty of guys on here that can point you in the right direction for that as well. Good luck.

Alamo precision out of Texas makes a great rifle. They have ready to ship rifles . Or build you a custom rig. And save you some money too..

I'll second Shaw on the Alamo Precision recommendation. Had them build me a 300 win mag that has been flawless thus far. The guys over there really know their stuff and will work with you every step of the way to build your dream rifle.

Look at Whidden Gun Works. Their are a lot of small gun manufactures of precision rifles. Start a internet search and you will find just what you want. Len Backus, the man who started this forum builds Quality rifles in your price range.

I'd go custom. You can pick and choose the parts and create something unique. I sourced parts for $3500 (Defiance action, Krieger barrel..the whole works) and the cost of barreling was about $500. That would leave you $1000 for a scope. There are lots of great scopes out there for $1000. Downside to customs is the wait can be long depending on part lead times.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
Ive had several custom rifles built and gotten exactely what I wanted. i used Mike Bryant https://bryantcustom.com/.

Before I would spend that on a single rifle. I believe that I would work on my hunting skills. Now if you just want to shoot paper at a thousand yard, get after it. I have met a lot of people with custom long range rifles and ask me why they couldn't get accuracy past 700 yards. Come to find out its not the rifle it was them. So you may have a tack driver @ 1000 yards doesn't mean you will be able to control it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.