Best ultralight tent (with floor)

Just so that you guys know, LUXE TENTS U.S. distributor in Forks WA. Is a SCAMMER. You pay for their hot tent, it never arrives. Ask me how I know. They used to be a real store, but there are many people posting that this happened to them too. I was able to go through my bank and get my money back, after many weeks.
There is no way to call them, emails were never answered. Beware.

Last edited:
Just so that you guys know, LUXE TENTS U.S. distributor in Forks WA. Is a SCAMMER. You pay for their hot tent, it never arrives. Ask me how I know. They used to be a real store, but there are many people posting that this happened to them too. I was able to go through my bank and get my money back, after many weeks.
There is no way to call them, emails were never answered. Beware.
Yikes, that's good to know. I recently ordered a stove Jack from them. I received it, but there was an issue with the order and no one replies via email and there's no phone number. Luckily it worked out, but good to know! I'd probably go with Stone Glacier at this point because those guys are awesome to work with!

I've used the Black Diamond Firstlight in basically all weather conditions. It's 4 season, single wall. Not UL, but fairly light, I think around 3lbs, and tough as nails. I've been in howling wind, rain, heavy snow, hot desert, you name it and it's never let me down. The one downside is that it does get some condensation inside. I don't know how many trips I've carried it backcountry ski touring and snow camping.

A few years ago I got the itch to buy something lighter and got a Nemo that was very light and it lasted until the first stiff wind (okay the wind was blowing really hard) on a trip out in the Mojave desert, at which point it got torn and the poles got really twisted. They didn't break but I don't have faith to try it again. I went back to the trusty old BD. I've slept in it well over a hundred nights and it's still going strong.

This…. I've taken to Prince of Whales AK, 10 day backpack hunt, it rained 8 days. Camping on spongy moss, you'd put your hand down on the floor and could feel the water disperse between your fingers and think "oh no", pull your hand up and it's bone dry. I can't believe how well it works.

Buy the bug net/floor assembly.

Incredible tent.

I have the Kuiu Storm Star and love it. It packs well, is very easy and fast to set up even in bad weather, and handles alot of wind and snow like a champ. The vents are very effective at minimizing condensation and 2 sided entry with vestibules on both sides makes 2 person use much cleaner and easier for gear storage and for either person to get out to pee. It is also comparatively reasonably priced. At -3 to -10 degrees for 5 days I was shocked not to wake up to a frosty dome and 35mph wind is nothing. I packed it myself hunting 3rd rifle this year and could not have been happier with this tent. It was a budget driven purchase, but I would buy it again if I had 4 times the budget.

This…. I've taken to Prince of Whales AK, 10 day backpack hunt, it rained 8 days. Camping on spongy moss, you'd put your hand down on the floor and could feel the water disperse between your fingers and think "oh no", pull your hand up and it's bone dry. I can't believe how well it works.

Buy the bug net/floor assembly.

Incredible tent.
I really like the looks of that tent.

This is my 3 season Tarptent Notch Li (Dyneema fabric) with hiking pole supports. The hiking poles fit with handles up in optional Velcro closing "pockets" from Tarptent. This keeps the handles and straps out of the dirt.
I dyed the inner tent for more shade and privacy and added stake loops along the fly hem. As far as use in snow it's"possible" but not recommended. At least it is much better in snow than 90% of other Dyneema tents.
I should have used the guy lines here to stretch out the sag between the poles.
P9202083.jpg

Last edited:
DC1B859E-0E39-4D97-8DA1-F7A63A8686D4.jpeg

The gray tent is my 4 season solo Tarptent Moment DW (Double Wall) in the Grand Canyon beside Len Backus' tent at our 1st camp while descending from the North Rim. It has 2 door and vestibules. The door on this side is closed as you can see.

I got a seek outside sunlight and am really liking it so far. I had a Durston xmid before and am happy with the switch so far but need to use it through a full season.

Recent Posts