Best ultralight tent (with floor)

DXHI

Hey guys. Looking for advice for a tent for long hikes, DIY mule deer and elk. I really like the sawtooth tipis...
But down here in the south we have animals with no shoulders so sealed with a floor is a MUST. I would like to use year round to get accustomed to carrying and using. I want something for 2-3 people

I have two solo tents I use.
1. Tarptent Moment DW-> "Solid" interior with the shortened optional Crossing Pole run UNDER the fly if heavy snow load is expected.
2. Tarptent Notch Li-> This is really a 3 season tent that can be used in winter with but is not as suitable for winter as the Moment DW or SCARP 1. Even the Statospire 1 is OK for winter with a "solid" interior tent. Full netting interior tents let spindrift snow inside, always a bad thing.

Any of these Tarptent models can be set up with the fly and inner tent as one unit avoiding getting the inner tent wet when setting up in bad weather. Just smart design - unlike many other tent designs that require the inner tent be set up FIRST (while getting soaked) and then the fly put over it.

For 2 people the Tarptent SCARP 2 and Stratospire 2 would be my choice although Tarptent makes other 2 person tents. I have a SCARP 2 and it's roomy for 2 with their gear but can accommodate "three consenting adults" in a head-to-toe sleeping bag arrangement. Both of these tents have a door/vestibule on each side for those "zero dark thirty" pee calls so you're not crawling over your tent mate to get outside - and back in.
Tarptent quality is excellent, as is their customer service. I've owned 5 of them over the years and liked them all.

Eric B.

Last edited:

For a 3 season tent I haven't been able to beat my river country products 2m tent. 2.5 lbs. $50. And I don't mind if it takes a beating (though mine has held up well so far).

Tents for the backcountry are like scopes for the backcountry, they must be RELIABLE. That's why spending a few hundred dollars on a quality tent is always money well spent.

Think about it, how much would spend on 3 or 4 nights in a modest Ramada Inn room? At least as mochas a tent that will last for years.

Tarptents seem to get rave reviews. I know it's not what you are looking for but what works great for me in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska is the fly off my 4 season Hilleberg Nallo plus a painters plastic floor when traveling super light in decent weather. When dealing with deep snow or super wet Alaska conditions I add the inner tent plus footprint or possibly the Nallo fly plus a bivy bag.

Triplex is not cheap and is not made for heavy snow loading, but it's strong and light and can handle heavy wind and rain.

Slingfin Portal is a terrific 2 person tent. Will handle snow loading. Would not fit 3 people, however.

Stephenson's Warmlite probably makes the lightest 3 person tent that can stand up to heavy winds and snow. They are very expensive, however.

I use the Nemo Dagger 2p, though you're going to be pretty tight with 2 adults. It's not an ultralight at a little under 4 pounds, but it has held up to rain, snow, crazy winds and kept me cozy and dry. I have also camped in a cheap tent and woke up with icicles hanging down inside, with a pretty damp sleeping bag (well, frozen, not damp). That was miserable.

Anyone have experience with the NEMO Spike?

I've been using a Nemo Hornet Elite 2p for a few years now. I haven't had any complaints, it always keeps me dry. I'm not sure I'd take that ultralight of a tent if I thought it was going to need to hold a snow load. If that's a concern I'd consider a 4-Season tent and sacrifice an extra pound or two, I don't like to hunt when it's that cold or nasty and if I was I probably wouldn't be backpacking, just basecamping.

Edit: let me add that there's no way you're getting 3 in that thing and 2 would be a tight fit for people that don't already share a bed together, but two of those would weight less than a lot of the 3p or 4p tents out there.

Anyone have experience with the NEMO Spike?

Based on some of the reviews I've read on it, as a very ultralight set up I'd get something different. I was going to I get that tent for run and gun archery elk but I wasn't reading great things. For me, a comparable option, which seems much better and based on their other products I wouldn't doubt it, is the Stone Glacier SkyAir ULT with a ton of extra options.