Best twist rate on a 223 bolt action rifle.

I will probably get the 60gr Partition and 70gr Accubond, and I do have some 62gr TSX in stock, maybe also look in to the 64gr Hammer Hunter, again this rifle will be for Deer and Javelina for my son. We won't use this gun on game past 300m or 350m. As far as practice we will use it to 500m tops. After a couple of years I'll upgrade him to a 7mm-08.

Certainly sounds like you know exactly what you're using the gun for and which bullets you plan on running. The 1/7.5 twist will do a great job with the 80 grain down to the 69 grain bullets, but with the 40-45 grain bullets,the 1/7.5 twist probably will be over stabilizing those and accuracy would most likely suffer. I personally wouldn't use the 40-45 grain bullets just because moving on up to the 60-69 grain size and be able to shoot the 1/7.5 twist with the 60-69 grain on up to 80 grain accurately. To shoot the 40-45 grain & 80 grain, there isn't really a perfect twist for that other than getting 2 separate barrels with different twists. A 1/8 twist would be better for the wide range of bullet weights You've chosen to shoot but again it's not the best for the lowest grain or the heaviest grain but will do the job.

....... You might hear people say that a1/7 twist or faster is too fast & you'll blow up bullets coming out of your barrel but the 223's velocity really isn't going to cause those kind of issues like a 22-250 might. ......

Partly disagree. With the TNT and similar type of thin jacketed explosive varmint bullets, I have experienced several jacket separations from 7 and even 9 twist 223/5.56 barrels. About 2-3 per box of 50 on the Pdog fields and as the shot count gets higher, the number increases requiring a quick bore cleaning.

I have had a few of the earlier Berger 90's from a 7tw 5.56 not make it to the 1,000 yd target and watched as they "poofed" at around 7-800yds.

I myself haven't had any failures yet with any of the bullets you mentioned. Specifically just last month I fired over 200 berger 90's from a 1/6.5 twist 25" bbl at extended ranges(450yrds -1225yrds) with zero bullet failure at velocities around 2700fps...perhaps I was lucky or received a good batch, but I was only speaking from personal experience.

I myself haven't had any failures yet with any of the bullets you mentioned. Specifically just last month I fired over 200 berger 90's from a 1/6.5 twist 25" bbl at extended ranges(450yrds -1225yrds) with zero bullet failure at velocities around 2700fps...perhaps I was lucky or received a good batch, but I was only speaking from personal experience.

Due to several complaints, their later 90gr have improved. Similar with a few of the early Sierra 90's. The 50gr TNT and similar thin jacketed varmint bullets can still come apart from some fast twist rifles, and was the main reason the early versions came with a recommended twist rate not to exceed.

Even then, not everyone experienced these symptoms, but several did. Having it happen on the Pdog towns was one thing, but to have a bullet or two come apart during a match was just down right frustrating. There are several shooting sites with well documented reports to this phenomenon, but I do agree, most of the newer production 90's seem to be much improved.

By the way, I chose a 1:8 twist for my AR with a 20 inch barrel. Haven't put it on paper because the trigger is absolutely atrocious, but playing around with it at 425 yds, I could consistently, shot after shot, hit a pop can. It was too easy! Needles to say, I was shocked it shot so well. I was using 55 gr. junk hand loads that I just threw together I haven't had time to work up a good one yet.

My 16" barrel AR with a 1 on 7 shoots really good with the 55gr American Eagle and Fiocci, I get MOA accuracy at 100m with the cheap stuff. I will be working up some loads with some Hornady 60gr HP I have.

I think if you're going to be hunting deer and javelina I think I'd use 77gr bullets for practice. Or you could try a 60gr spire point to match up with a 60gr Partition if you're going to use the Partition to hunt with.

I've never used it but the 55gr GMX has close to the same BC as the other 55gr Hornady bullets. Maybe check and see if the Federals you are shooting have close to the same BC.

Not a bad idea xns10s, I think he 55gr is a little light for Deer but perfect for Javelina. I will also try them on the new rifle, with a 22" barrel I'll get a little more speed on them

I got way too many bullets on the lighter weights so that would be why I would use them for practice. I don't really go after varmints except coyotes and the 60gr Hornady's I got do a great job on them

I think it's light for deer also. But Hornady lists it for deer. Heck I think 223 is light for pigs too but a guy I think in Hawaii hunts them with 223. He's on youtube. Good luck Bud.

Thanks, I've taken several Javelina with the 223 with no issues, one shot and DRT. Took a few deer with it when I was a kid using the 70gr from Speer back then. With all the new bullets available we have way better options now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.