Best Tripod Shooting System for Magnum Calibers

weatherbee

Hello to all:

I'm looking for a tripod shooting system that will withstand magnum calibers. This tripod system will be used for western hunting as well as hunting out of a high rack.

I have looked at the BOG Deathgrip, Hog Saddle, Caldwell Field pods etc.

Will the clamp style mounts give you enough rear support for steady shot?
Does the caldwell fieldpod style offer better support?
Can you use large magnums in the clamp style mount?
Does manufacturer of tripod matter?

any insight to any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Rifles it needs to handle
300 WBY Mag
6.5-300 WBY mag
300 WSM
6.5 PRC

Most of these weigh from 7 to 12 pounds or so.

Thanks in advance

Since you're asking about 'the best' and don't mention a budget, I'd start your search with Really Right Stuff SOAR. One of their tripods with an Anvil head on it will be more than solid enough for 7-12 lb rifles. PRS/NRL guys are using these all the time with rifles weighing closer to, if not over, 20lbs. If your rifles don't have an arca swiss rail on them, you can look at the RRS adapter plates or ones from Area 419. I just added an Area 419 arca rail to a Manners stock 300 Win Mag and it's been great to shoot. RRS also makes a VYCE mount that would hold your rifles steady as well.

RRS tripods are nice, there are versions that are less expensive, but still pricey. I use a Feisol for hunting and PRS. I have an RRS ball head on top. The ball head gives more flexibility in setting up, but some say the leveling bases are more stable. However, then for high angle shots, you are playing with the leg heights. With the ball head, I have no trouble hitting reasonable targets. My son was using the tripod and his 6.5CM to consistently hit a 1/2 IPSC at 500 this past Sunday (9" wide x 15" tall), he got bored after a couple shots.

I just decided what I'm going to do for my 7mag after researching extensively. RRS TFC-33 legs with the anvil 30 head and a pic rail on stock in front of the action screw to attach. The anvil 30 can attach to a picatinny rail or a dovetail. You can get an RRS dovetail plate for a hog saddle and do that as well if you don't have the rail on your stock.

Last edited:
I have a comp 40 tripod with rrs anvil mount, works great. I've shot my 300 norma imp off it w/o any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_115125.jpg
    IMG_20191110_115125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.