Best Trigger Choice

RFears

Guys I know we have a bunch of trigger choices, from gettin the factory ones worked to aftermarket ones. From all of experiences, what do you all prefer as trigger weights to brand choices. I go for around 2.5 ozs on hunting rifles, i like timney triggers.

2.5 OZ or 2.5LBS?? 2.5 oz seems pretty light for a hunting rifle. And pretty light for a benchrest rifle too...

the brand is not important; whats important is that the trigger breaks clean with no creep, the over travel is no so short as to cause the shooter to pull the shot, and most of all, the user is familiar with it...

Well, i have been getting mine set to 2.5 for some time, have one that is 2. Really i think it is all what one gets used to, but anyone that shoots my stuff has a problem. But again, from experience, what seems to be the best trigger on market today. I am about to take in a .300 Rum, will have it set to 3 to see if i like any better....

Guys I know we have a bunch of trigger choices, from gettin the factory ones worked to aftermarket ones. From all of experiences, what do you all prefer as trigger weights to brand choices. I go for around 2.5 ozs on hunting rifles, i like timney triggers.

I am a big fan of the older Remington triggers because they can be tuned to as light as you can
stand (About 1 lb) The Timney is a very good aftermarket trigger and I have heard of no one
that was dissatisfied with them. But if you want the best (For Remington's) there is only one
choice in my opinion and that is the Jewel !

They will adjust it to whatever you want (Within reason) and it is very easy to adjust if it does not suit you. It can be fully adjusted IN THE STOCK with out removing it.

I use a trigger pull gauge on all of my triggers and the jewels always feel lighter than they are.

Warning: once you buy one you will not be happy with other triggers and end up replacing
them with the Jewel. (To bad they don't make one for the Weatherbys). I use the Timney
for those that I cant get a Jewel for.

Canjar used to make one of the best triggers but they are not available now.

Don't take my word for it try one and you won't be sorry.

J E CUSTOM

I used (and still have!) a 2oz Shilen on my personal long-range rifle. I knew it like i knew my tooth brush, but it took a bit of dry-firing to get used to it. VERY light and i'd not recommend it for most people or general hunting situations.

For my game hunting rifles, i tuned my own (and the ocassional colleagues) Remington 700 triggers and got good results - from 2lbs to as much as 4lbs.

Canjar used to be the "go-to" trigger (though never heard a complaint about Timney's or Jewells). I don't know if i'd go with a "standard" Shilen, but the 2oz comp trigger was nice - but not for game animal hunting (no safety for example).

I'd echo the advice above w/regards to Jewells "in-stock" adjustment. A very nice feature to say the least.

EDIT: While i still have the 2oz comp trigger, i no longer have a long-range rig to use it with

Rfears,
The older Remington trigger used to be pretty good but I have no experience with the X-pro. I have across a couple that were made in the 90's and I could not adjust them below 3lbs. That's really not saying a great deal. I tinker, but I am not a gunsmith.
I have bought/installed and like the Timney's, especially for the older Savage 110 actions. I recently bought a Rifle Basix for the 112 BVSS and it easily adjusted to 2.5lbs. It may go lower I just didn't bother to try as it felt good where it was at.
I also recently bought a Shilen for my Rem 700P and even though it's thiner that the original it is a wonderful trigger. I really like it as it came pre-set at 2lbs. Wouldn't take 50 Remington triggers for it.
I have an older Win 70 HVB with a stock trigger and it's as good as the Timney and RB. Closer to the Shilen that the other two. Very sweet, user friendly trigger. JohnnyK.

For hunting I tend to like the Timney set to around 2.5 lbs. For target, I like the Jewell at about 1.5 lbs. The Jewell has a crisper feel to it, but it is just a little narrow for me when it comes to hunting. I recently have had my smith tune an X-Mark for me and it is surprisingly nice.

Rather than swapping trigger the remington trigger seems to be very adjustable, what do you all thing of working remington trigger?

Rather than swapping trigger the remington trigger seems to be very adjustable, what do you all thing of working remington trigger?

That would be the first thing that I would do .

Allways try to save the factory trigger and if that doesent work (Some just cant be made to
work properly) and the go to plan "B" and buy an aftermarket trigger.

There are honing tools that are available for the do it your self person and this is a good
way to learn how a trigger realy works and how to improuve it.

There is a lot of satisfaction in saving a otherwise useless piece of equiptment.

J E CUSTOM

I tuned the triggers (old Rem style) on both of my Senderos to what I "guess" is about 1.5 lbs and I like them. If you google Rem tigger adjustment you'll find a few sites describing this process. Read several of them to get a good overall view. Basically this is the way I did it after some trial and error.

There are three screws. 1) The tension screw which controls the amount of force needed to break the trigger. 2) The over travel screw and 3) the sear engagement screw which controls the creep of the trigger.

First, you need to remove the epoxy from the screw heads which I did with a small flathead screwdriver.

Next, adjust the tension screw until you get the pull wieght you like.

Next, with firning pin cocked, screw the sear engagement screw in very slowley until the trigger breaks, then screw it back out about a qurter of a turn and cock the trigger again. Some sites will tell you to turn the sear screw back about a half turn. But I found that was way too much with my triggers. An eight turn worked perfectly, but yours may be different. NOTE: VERY IMPORTAANT TO GET THIS RIGHT TO AVOID AN INADVERTANT DISCHARGE. OK... now break the trigger slowly to see if there is any creep. If there is creep then turn the sear engagement screw bcakin very slightly and test again. If the trigger breaks when cock and close the bolt, then you need to screw the sear screw out a little more. Once you have acomplished this, check the weight of your trigger pull again to make sure it is still where you like it. You may have to go back an forht between the tension screw and the sear screw a couple of times to get it right. Once everything feels good, perform a couple of safety checks. Open and salm the bolt closed several times to make sure the firing pin doesn't fire from this action. Then, cock the firning pin and put the safety on and try to fire it with a good bit of force on the trigger. Do this several times.

Next, screw the over travel screw in until you can not break the trigger. Then unscrew to the point where you can just barely break the trigger. Open and close the bolt several times and test the trigger until you have this adjusment just right. Then do your safety checks again. When you are happy with everything, it would be a good idea to put smoe nail polish or other hardening substance on the screw heads to keep them from moving. I would not recommend a real strong epoxy. Here are a couple of sites...

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

http://www.snipersparadise.com/articles/adjusting_the_rem_700_trigger.htm

http://www.switchbarrel.com/rem_trig.htm

Hope that helps, and be safe

Mark

Next,

Last edited:
I agree that jewel trigger is somewhat narrow, wish they made one that was a bit wider. Would be more comfortable in my mind anyway. I think on this gun i am just going to adjust Reminton trigger and see what i get. It is a new .300 Rum, Sendero. Heavy trigger, shoots good, but heavy.....Used to less than 2lbs. Feels like i am tring to pull truck with my finger.....

I have a couple of alternative suggestions for you to consider. Mt 277 AM wears a Kepplinger single set trigger. Once correctly adjusted, you have two pull-weight options with this trigger. By simply pulling the trigger in a normal fashion, you can set it to roughly 1.5 pounds. The second option is to use the "set trigger" capability by rocking or pushing the trigger forward. When this is done, the trigger is set and will break cleanly with a pull weight in ounces rather than pounds. The trigger shoe is rather slender, but then you don't need much pressure to set these triggers off. They are made for several different actions and run from $165 to $295 depending on the model. Their model that fits the Rem 700 action just had a substantial drop in orice from over $200 down to $165. Brownell's has them and they are woth every penny.

KEPPLINGER : SINGLE-SET TRIGGER - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

The second option is a Huber tactical two-stage trigger. I love the fat trigger shoe on this trigger. These triggers were typicall made for military actions, but the Rem 700 is included. In its present configuration for the 700, the std bolt stop release will not work with this trigger group. Custom 700 clone actions with a bolt stop release on the side work without problems. He has different models for pull weights such as military, varmint and sniper. The trigger has two stages: the first is taking up slack with light trigger pull until you hit the "wall", then a crisp clean break at 1-2 pounds, depending on your personal preference. The wide trigger shoe makes it a delight to pull. I highly recommend this trigger as well. Read more at:

Remington 700

It looks as if someone on Sniper's Hide | For the serious tactical marksman will be running a group buy on these in early December for $275 - again worth every penny. Just click on the "forums" tab and then scroll down to the "Group Buy" section.

You don't hear much about these triggers on most forums, but for those who own them - nothing else compares.

What about the the newer triggers on remington Sendero's. They are suppost to be very adjustable i hear....

I just finished tuning my buddies new Rem 700 with the x-mark pro trigger. It was nice, crisp, no creep, I was pretty excited about it until I tried to adjust it lower than 3lbs. That was it, 3lbs, no lower, what a JIP.

He opted to have me install a Jewell. I set the Jewell at 2.5lbs and it feels lighter and crisper than a Timney I have set at 1.8lbs. Son of Gun, I'm gonna have to spend $200 on the trigger for my next rifle build. The Jewell is that sweet.

You will be totally satisfied with the $100 Timney, it is wonderful. Until you experience the Jewell. Son of a..........

What do they say? The barrel is the heart of a rifle. The trigger is the soul???

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts