Best Tikka rifle to rebarrel it to 6.5 PRC

Mc Fraser

Hello everyone,
What will be the best caliber found in a Tikka rifle to rebarrel it to a 6.5 PRC? I want to be able to buy a prefit barrel and shoot it.
I know I need bolt face and WSM is recommended, my question is why not a 300 win mag to enjoy the extra magazine length? Or 7mm RM?

TIA,
Mc Fraser.

Having recenty bought a Tikkakoski, which is an older model Tikka, I know that they are either short or long action.

You need a long action. Mine is a LSA 65.

See what The Old Man says about 6.5 PRC donor actions -

6.5 PRC Facts

I don't know if his comments apply to my question, his talking about Rem actions. Tikka WSM actions (correct me if I'm wrong) are actually long actions, its just the bolt stop that differs. I don't know about magazines though.

What I understand is that you need a long action, a magnum bolt face, a mag box of the right length, and the rails opened up if it's not a short magnum caliber.

If it's not a long action with a magnum bolt face, you need to

1. lengthen the mag box
2. mill the bolt face and maybe fit a different extractor
3. open up the rails
4. get the feeding right

He recommends a model 70 long action with a magnum bolt, as it is the least work and therefore the least cost.

A Tikka in any Win Mag, or 375 H&H, will also do. A Sako 85 is the best, IMO.

If you take any Tikka short action, it's 1, 2, 3, 4 above.

If you take a Tikka long action in 30-06, for example, then you still have to do 2, 3 and 4 above.

He refers to the mag box, which is the box built into the stock that houses the follower, not external magazines.

If you want external magazines, you need a chassis, or at the very least an action for which there is bottom metal available that can take magnum length cartridges.

Randy is saying that it's an expensive, labor intensive exercise to take a short action, and have all that work done to it to make a 6.5 PRC. The reason why he is describing the process, is to tell how difficult it actually is, because the gun writers are of the opinion the 6.5 PRC is built on a short action.

He is saying it is not.

Consider it a bit like making a VZ24 into a 500 Jeffery. Just because Paul Mauser did it, and it worked, doesn't mean that any gunsmith can put one together and make it work properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.