Best tent for 3 person caribou hunt

Jakeweb09

Going with 2 buddies next august on the north slope. We would like to keep weight to a minimum but most importantly is something we don't need to worry about at all. Best to keep everyone in one tent as well. We have a flourless teepee but from our understanding there's not really any fire wood up there to burn in the stove, so probably leaning toward having a floor! Any recommendations from people that've done it?

I know most wont agree, but four of us went on a 13 day archery/rifle alaskan caribou hunt in this Cabella's Alaskan 8 person tent. (Enough room for our back packing stuff too) It not only survived, but thrived during our end of the hunt snowy days.

(But I'm not a Sitka/Kuiu/kenetrek etc etc guy - there is plenty of good equipment that doesn't break the bank. It might not be "trendy", but it definitely gets the job done)

Attachments

• B6C134EF-A03C-43AA-9438-586D34675E18.jpeg
    B6C134EF-A03C-43AA-9438-586D34675E18.jpeg
    774.1 KB · Views: 29
AZHTR is correct that you can run into a snow storm and having a sturdy tent is a must! We need more information. Are you going to walk the five miles off the road to start rifle hunting or bow hunt from the Haul Road? How long are you hunting? What are your weight limits? What type of airplane is taking you in/out if chartering? What are your options for tents that you own already?

We're getting flown in, not sure the exact plane but our weight limits are 60lbs of gear apiece. There for 10 days. That weight limit doesn't apply to our rifles if I remember correctly

Going with 2 buddies next august on the north slope. We would like to keep weight to a minimum but most importantly is something we don't need to worry about at all. Best to keep everyone in one tent as well. We have a flourless teepee but from our understanding there's not really any fire wood up there to burn in the stove, so probably leaning toward having a floor! Any recommendations from people that've done it?
I will tell you something about tents and room. I spent a month climbing Denali and we had a three person tent for three of us. We focused on the weight factor because we took everything we need to live for a five week journey and carried on our backs and sled that we pulled. Depending on how much traveling and back packing you do, the tent can't be split between three people. I will say one thing that living in a three person tent and packed just like sardines is no fun especially if you run into a storm and have to stay in it together. Get a tent that has some room. A six person would be the least space for you guys and all your gear. Get one with a floor for sure and water proof.

Yeah I've got solo tents and We've got an 8 man flourless teepee but would definitely rather have a floor, and space for everyone in one. But hard to imaging it taking up 20lbs of each of our weight limits too

Urethane bathtub floor is quite nice to have if you and your gear want to stay dry. I'd second the idea that you'll benefit from having twice as much tent as hunters.