Best suited 7mm for short barrel?

trucraft

I have seen a short 7mm carbon wrap barrel for sale at a very good price.
So it's got me thinking about wether it's worth buying and holding on to for a future build... (like I really need another rifle )
The barrel will finish around 17 inches.
It will be used for deer and varmints max 400m.
7-08 is an obvious choice but what else would work well in peoples experience?
Also what bullet would you guys use for said caliber?

It was probably intended to be a long range pistol barrel. What twist rate is it? I am new to the specialty pistol world, but there is a trend to compensate for shorter barrel length with larger case capacity. If you are thinking of building the ultimate light weight mountain rifle a 7wsm or 7Saum or 7SSM would all be good choices. If you just want to shoot a short barrel 7mm for fun then the 7-08 would be great.

With that twist you can do just about anything you want with that barrel.
The 7SSM is a Sherman Short Mag
The 7 saw is basically a 7mm -08 with a pushed back 40degree shoulder. Think of it as a bigger 7mm creedmoor.
https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/
I wouldn't entertain building anything over a 7-08 without a good muzzle brake. With a barrel that short and light there will be lots of recoil

Last edited:
With that twist you can do just about anything you want with that barrel.
The 7SSM is a Sherman Short Mag
The 7 saw is basically a 7mm -08 with a pushed back 40degree shoulder. Think of it as a bigger 7mm creedmoor.
https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/
I wouldn't entertain building anything over a 7-08 without a good muzzle brake. With a barrel that short and light there will be lots of recoil

Thanks.
7saw looks like a 7-08AI perhaps shorter case?
Is a 7-08AI really worth the effort in a super short barrel?
Rifle will have a suppressor but still I imagine muzzle flip will be substantial with anything shooting nearly 60gr of powder like a short mag.
Still, perhaps a 7PRC;)

The SAUM, WSM, Rem Mag and Dakota all perform very well in short barreled specialty pistols. If you wanted to shoot a short action I'd look at the 7mm SAUM. You'd end up with ballistics very close to the 280 AI depending on how your barrel is throated. Recoil and blast won't be an issue if you're using a suppressor.

Thanks.
7saw looks like a 7-08AI perhaps shorter case?
Is a 7-08AI really worth the effort in a super short barrel?
Rifle will have a suppressor but still I imagine muzzle flip will be substantial with anything shooting nearly 60gr of powder like a short mag.
Still, perhaps a 7PRC;)
Yes, but more taper and less shoulder angle... Which means the SAW is not as good as an AI, in my opinion.

And yes, the 7mm-08 AI would be great in your shorter barrel. AI isn't necessarily about velocity, it also has a lot of other positive things about the case design itself, like virtually no brass growth, better combustion, more complete burn, handles chamber pressures better, AI case design holds the walls of chamber better helping to alleviate excess pressure on your bolt lugs, and of course more powder capacity which = more powder, which then = more velocity.

I almost forgot about the old 284 Winchester. It is an excellent cartridge when used in conjunction with the right barrel twist. It will get you more performance than the 7-08ai with no fire forming. You can buy lapua brass for the 6.5-284 and just run it through fl die with an expander and load it up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts