Best Sub-$300 3-9x40?

boattailed bandit

Im looking at getting a nice 3-9x40. I currently have a 4-12x40 mildot prostaff nikon and i just dont need it. Ive came to terms that my farthest shot on a good day will be 250-300 yards. I used a 3-9x40 bushnell and it did everything i wanted. Im going with a 3-9x40 its just a matter of what brand. Im thinking of going with leupold. Either their VX1 or VX2. But i dont want to count out other brands. So what would yall suggest? Im looking for the best clarity, durability, and value out there. Any help?

Pretty much nothing in my experience. Bell size doesn't mean much until you get into the higher dollar scopes. I've got one of these and consider it the best all around general use scope for the money. Even on rimfires.

Thanks. Im still kind of leaning toward the leupold vx1, but not sold yet. I like the diamondback. Atleast what im hearing anyways. Im gonna try to get my hands on all of them soon and see for sure.

There's not much better than a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 for the price.

It takes a kicken and stays solid.

There's not much better than a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 for the price.

It takes a kicken and stays solid.

This. Sub-$300 & a 3-9x40 screams Leupold VX2. Great scope with great optics, the improvement from the VX1 to the 2 is well worth the extra $. If you want a turret later them send it to leupold for a M1.

I wouldn't touch a low end vortex like the diamondback. You won't find a better value than the leupold VX2.

Thanks folks. Im gonna look at both the vx1 and vx2 as soon as i can to decide for sure. From what ive heard the older vx1 were lacking quite a bit, but the newer ones are on par with what the vx2 used to be? And ofcourse the vx2 is better than the vx1.

I agree about the VX-2 being a good scope. The VX-1 scopes have a two-piece tube, and they aren't always straight. Low end Vortex scopes have poor contrast due to high glare. Another scope to consider in your price range is Burris E1. The same mechanics and optics are offered in several different trim lines and reticles.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.