Best stock rifle for under $1000?

im in the same boat, had a m77 7mag but ended up selling that one. looking to get something that reaches out again....the rem 700 setups seem to be the best option for under a grand. would love to find a 338rum but not very many out there from my gunbroker searches etc so ill probably end up with a 300rum or win mag. definitely want something capable at taking anything I might end up going after/getting lucky enough to draw for be it deer, elk, antelope, ram hell possibly even a bear at some point.

I have several rifles in my safe. Some stock 700s, 70s, 110s, and T3s. I also have a couple customs as well. Out of all my stock rifles, my Tikka T3s have impressed me the most especially for the money. You can pick up a T3 lite stainless for 680 at sportsmans warehouse. My next purchase is going to be another T3 in 270 wsm to use as a mid range pack rifle.

I'm looking to buy a long range hunting rifle, But i only have $1500 to spend (rifle and scope)

Whats the best stock rifle right out of the box for under $1000?'

I am also thinking of buying a cheap Remington 7400 and sending it to asi and get a accurate Semi auto rifle for under or right around $1000.

Custom Remington 7400 7600 750 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing

I really like the 7400 idea because I grew up hunting with one.

Which should I get?

Just- i can't tell what he intends to hunt with it .......squirrels, elk, deer, coyotes, moose , javelinas. not many use a rem 7400 base for a build. rare.

Check out the new Remington 700 Long Range. It has a Bell And Carlson stock with the bedding block. Has a heavy barrel. I think its available in 25-06, 7mm Rem and 300 win. I think the MSRP is around 850. It looks a lot like the original Sendero's Remington brought out in the early-mid 90's and they were some of the most accurate factory rifles ever made. Then I would check out Cameralandny.com for optics. I bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 with the dead hold BC reticle for 325 to my house. Its a good scope for the money. Then go to midway and buy a egw 20moa base and some Burris signature rings and you'll be able to get to 1000 yds with a little practice. And you should be under your 1500 dollar budget . You would probably have a little left over for some reloading components. This is the route I would go plus if you get the itch to build something in the future you have a really good platform to build off. Hope this helps.

If $1500 is your budget for rifle and scope for all types of game, I would look for a used Rem 700 in .270Win, .280 Rem, .30-06, 7mm RM, .300 WM or similar for around $500. Then buy a good $1K scope. Call it done and shoot, shoot, shoot to learn your capabilities. You can upgrade your gun later in stages if needed (trigger, stock, barrel, etc.). You cannot upgrade your scope. You have to replace it.

No use buying a $1200 gun and putting a *** $300 scope on it. If you can't see it, you can't hit it. If you can see it, but the scope won't track correctly, you can't hit it after your first time dialing your elevation.

I would take an MOA rifle with a good scope (meaning you can maintain shooting MOA at distance) long before taking a 1/2MOA gun and putting on a crap scope that won't track/hold zero, effectually making it a 2+ MOA gun.

Probably not going to get much feedback from the OP b/c I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he made his decision 2yrs ago when he posted this thread.

I'm looking to buy a long range hunting rifle, But i only have $1500 to spend (rifle and scope)

Whats the best stock rifle right out of the box for under $1000?'

I am also thinking of buying a cheap Remington 7400 and sending it to asi and get a accurate Semi auto rifle for under or right around $1000.

Custom Remington 7400 7600 750 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing

I really like the 7400 idea because I grew up hunting with one.

Which should I get?
this is an idea i have not seen or heard of.

Id look into a savage lrh then decide on the caliber depending on what your doing. Cant go wrong with savage, my bone stock savage 93 17 hmr puts 3 shots in 5/16 group at 100 yards. I personally would probaly go with a browning. The two ive spent some time behind, they both are 1/2 moa rifles with hand loads. Not a Remington fan. Ive just had some bad experiences with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts