Best Stock For A Win Mod 70 In .243

Roadrunner

I've got an old Winchester Model 70 in .243 that is a 1964 (****, just missed pre-64 by one year) family heirloom. The wood is pretty beat up and as a result it strings shots to the right (most likely due to the wood beneath the action screws getting screwed through time and age). I was wondering which stock would be the best for it. By best I mean I'm looking to use it for a hunting rifle still, so a low weight will be important. As it'll be used to take groundhogs at long ranges, accuracy would be very important. I'm thinking to only go with a synthetic stock to prevent any effects of weather. Price is not as important as I don't need it till next summer, and therefore will be saving all year and would rather have quality. Thanks.

Hey Ian M, Thanks a lot. Some of those stocks are beautiful. I'll order one tomorrow. Now will I be able to just drop my action into them. The original stock is free-floating. So will I be able to just drop it in or will I need a gunsmith to bed it? Thanks again.

Composite stocks may or may not be "drop-in" as claimed - depends on manufacturing tolerances. But they will be close, maybe needing a bit of sanding or removal of material with a Dremel type tool. Particularly check that the bolt handle is not touching in its recess, barrel is centered in the barrel channel, action sits flat and flush to were it should be.

Bedding is always a good idea to ensure a perfect fit. A competent gunsmith can do a bedding job or you can do that job yourself, just buy a bedding kit from Brownells www.brownells.com (just make sure you use lots of release agent).
Your action is considered a long M-70 action I believe, even tho it is chambered for the .243. The McMillan M-70 Hunting is a great stock, and is usually available on the internet special.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts