Best spotting scope under $350, Leupold, Zhumell, Minox...?

LandToSea

I just found out that I get about 35% discount off MSRP from my employer on Leupold. I just bought a Zhumell 20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope for $210 and am trying to decide if I should return it. I can get the below with my discount from work.

SX-1 Ventana 15-45x60mm Angled Black for $225

SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80mm Angled Black for $350

Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact for $300

Even considering my discounted pricing, should I be looking at other scopes under $350 such as Minox MD 50? My main desired use is spotting holes in paper at 300+ yds. I usually carry my DSLR with a 50-500mm zoom lens in the field.

Last edited:
I just bought the redfield 20-60x60 a couple of days ago. I havent taken it to the range yet, but me and a buddy were lookin at gutter nails at 300yds yesterday, if that helps you at all!

I may be good with the Zhumell? I unpacked it and took it outside and was able to count pine needles on top of a ~60' tree that was about 300+yds away. Maybe my eye is not as discerning as the optic aficionados, but in today's very dreary grey sky the glass seemed plenty bright all the way until dusk. It is also as clear as can be imo. Until I test at the range I will not know but I think I am good with the $210 deal and do not need to spend 2-10x the money? I really cant imagine it getting much better and I am an advanced level photographer so my lens clarity expectations are high.

I may be good with the Zhumell? I unpacked it and took it outside and was able to count pine needles on top of a ~60' tree that was about 300+yds away. Maybe my eye is not as discerning as the optic aficionados, but in today's very dreary grey sky the glass seemed plenty bright all the way until dusk. It is also as clear as can be imo. Until I test at the range I will not know but I think I am good with the $210 deal and do not need to spend 2-10x the money? I really cant imagine it getting much better and I am an advanced level photographer so my lens clarity expectations are high.

I havent heard of zhumell but if you think the glass is good and you are a photo guy then Im super impressed for $210. If it is that good you just found the bargain of the millenia. The gold ring you mentioned would probly be the best VALUE of what you listed. The other two are probly built in the same place as the zhumell. The gold ring seems pretty cheap and would makew a good liteweight shortrange spotter especially if it isnt too windy.

I just bought the redfield 20-60x60 a couple of days ago. I havent taken it to the range yet, but me and a buddy were lookin at gutter nails at 300yds yesterday, if that helps you at all!

The wind blew and the .... flew! I must say I doubt that statement EXCEEDINGLY!

I havent heard of zhumell but if you think the glass is good and you are a photo guy then Im super impressed for $210. If it is that good you just found the bargain of the millenia. The gold ring you mentioned would probly be the best VALUE of what you listed. The other two are probly built in the same place as the zhumell. The gold ring seems pretty cheap and would makew a good liteweight shortrange spotter especially if it isnt too windy.

The Zhumell was mentioned in a thread at thehighroad which compared it to the Konus but slightly better glass so I gambled and ordered before finding out that I got the leupold discount a couple days later, lol!

20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope | Zhumell

Time will tell, but so far I am impressed. I would get the Gold Ring if I could afford more than the 15-30x

Last edited:
The wind blew and the .... flew! I must say I doubt that statement EXCEEDINGLY!

I am not sure of the quality of the scope he mentioned but if I can clearly see individual pine needles at 300yds with the same magnification why wouldn't it be possible to see nails?

Really sully!! Why would I lie??!! You don't even know me!! I may be a lot of things, but a liar, sir, is not one of them!!! So unless you have taken the redfield out and tried to look at gutter nails at 300, I think you probably should have modified your statement a lil!! I paid 229.00 for that scope and I hit the building with the range finder and at 302yds we were looking at gutter nails!!! Now I am not sayin I could see the hammer marks on that nail, but nevertheless I could see the nails, and for me that seemed promising for when I do get to the range with it!!

Really sully!! Why would I lie??!! You don't even know me!! I may be a lot of things, but a liar, sir, is not one of them!!! So unless you have taken the redfield out and tried to look at gutter nails at 300, I think you probably should have modified your statement a lil!! I paid 229.00 for that scope and I hit the building with the range finder and at 302yds we were looking at gutter nails!!! Now I am not sayin I could see the hammer marks on that nail, but nevertheless I could see the nails, and for me that seemed promising for when I do get to the range with it!!

Yeah! Right!!!

I am not sure of the quality of the scope he mentioned but if I can clearly see individual pine needles at 300yds with the same magnification why wouldn't it be possible to see nails?

When "some" have difficulty counting tines on ELK ANTLERS at 700 yards...you try and tell us you can count pine needles ( just slightly smaller.....:rolleyes:..) at 300 yards. Yeah!....Right!!

Well sully I guess you are just the optical guru!!!! The rest of us are just a bunch of liars full of bs!! Thank the good lord above you are here to set us all straight!!!

I just found out that I get about 35% discount off MSRP from my employer on Leupold. I just bought a Zhumell 20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope for $210 and am trying to decide if I should return it. I can get the below with my discount from work.

SX-1 Ventana 15-45x60mm Angled Black for $225

SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80mm Angled Black for $350

Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact for $300

Even considering my discounted pricing, should I be looking at other scopes under $350 such as Minox MD 50? My main desired use is spotting holes in paper at 300+ yds. I usually carry my DSLR with a 50-500mm zoom lens in the field.

Hi,

There is a few spotters that will fit your needs, Celestron makes a few models of their Ultmia Series in 65mm and 80mm and also a 90mm C-90 but it is a little heavy and no zoom. Leupold has some but I would go with something over 50mm. Bushnell also has a few models at your price and Vortex Nomad series.

Mike

When "some" have difficulty counting tines on ELK ANTLERS at 700 yards...you try and tell us you can count pine needles ( just slightly smaller.....:rolleyes:..) at 300 yards. Yeah!....Right!!

Since we are jabbing and being immature...

I can see your tiny wanker (just slightly smaller than pine needles :rolleyes:) and I am all the way down in S FL! I have no idea why you think I would say something not true on here when I am looking for advice, Jack *** troll!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.