Best spotters for backpack hunting

Depends on the hunt. If you need to count annuli on a ram…we'll you are going to need great glass to save the steps. So a swaro is good.
But for overall lighter weight decent glass at a pretty good price point? Check out vortex razors in that 16-48 mag range.

Get at least a 60-65mm bell, Any smaller aren't worth it. If you can afford a swaro then it's a no brainer, get it, ATS or X. X is more versatile down the road. If you can't afford swaro the vortex razor or meopta, or similar priced are all good. As stated above it all about what you expect out of a spotter. With a razor you will be able to tell is a good framed deer at 1 1/2 miles. With a swaro you will be able to see the forks and more detail. I just used both side by side yesterday. Razors was good but not as clear. Of course heat waves rendered both of them useless in the middle of the day.

I had kowa 554 which is billed as a packer and a 774.The 554 was really to small and optically about the same as my 15x45x60 leupold that ive had for ever and a good all around,short 12.5 and not that heavy.The 774 was more than I want to pack but great.Im using a Ziess 18x 45 x65 dialyt,that is pretty good all around for what I do,and armoured.I dont baby my stuff and it gets used.I run on a 1# tripod w/ball head or outdoorsman compact,same on my ziess 15x56

I have an ATS 80 that is in my pack whether I'm a half mine out or 10. It's Big and heavy but I'm confident with it so that space and weight often bumps other stuff out in lieu of hoping the trip will be shorter in time haha

I have an ATS 80 that is in my pack whether I'm a half mine out or 10. It's Big and heavy but I'm confident with it so that space and weight often bumps other stuff out in lieu of hoping the trip will be shorter in time haha
Same here. Except an 80 STS all season. Put on 50 miles and 15,000' of vert in one hunt with it in my pack the whole time. Never regretted it one bit. So much so, that I'm actually bumping up to the 85 STX for this season. I've carried, a Kowa 554 and 774 as well. I think I'll stick with the bigger spotters for good. They really are worth their weight to me.

I bought a Kiowa 553 for a small, lightweight spottting scope and was greatly impressed. It wasn't far behind a Swarovski 20-60 65 and better than the vortex razor.
When I got it I couldn't believe how small it was. Worked out great for Montana mule deer hunt. If not worried about size you can't go wrong with 80 Swarovski

I run a 60mm Swaro ATX and a Kowa 553. I find myself packing the Swaro more and more because it's just THAT good! But the Kowa is truly impressive for what it weighs. For really serious backcountry fast and light trips, the Kowa usually goes!

Another vote for the Kowa 553. Only weighs about 2 lbs. with the cover on and performs well above its size.

The 16-48 razor (Gen I) is really an awesome scope. Compared it to the 554 and leupold GR. I kept the 16-48 not to say it was better in all ways than the others but I think had the most features I liked. Only weighs 48oz (lighter than most 65s). Fine focus not on barrel (my preference). And really good edge to edge clarity when I tested it. It resolved as much as the other two as well.

Recently bought the swaro 25-50 Wide angle lens for it (20-40 actual on 65mm). It's pretty awesome. Wider FOV at 20x than original at 16x. Also wider at 40x than original at 48. Most importantly I can see just as much at 40x as I can at 48 because the eyepiece is probably just better glass.

The original eyepiece is really good as well. People say exact copy of swaro 20-60 (16-48 on 65mm).

It's a really well performing, light, affordable package.