best spots to hunt prairie dogs

Any of the National Grassland and public hunting areas in South Dakota are free, both offer exceptional shooting if you are willing to pack in your equipment on foot. Google Earth can be an invaluable tool to find these locations.

The best spots, have mostly been poisoned out or shot out. Lots of debris left behind as well as bad feelings regarding the varmint community. Prepare for your hunt or shoot, whatever your terminology, by saving a bit extra to cover a ranch trespass fee or on Tribal Lands, the required Guide. Both suggestions save you time but not necessarily money. The previously advertised Guide Services, in the now defunct Varmint Hunter Magazine, are worth the money and the operations are supported by talented personnel attached to the various operations. Go on E Bay or some other internet sales media and grab a couple back copies of Varmint Hunter Magazine. The information will shorten your learning curve and open up your options. Check em out, make some phone calls and send out emails. Quality outfits have always responded with more than enough info to make your next decision.
When you rely on the performance of a quality guide service, the only thing to deal with is weather. It's out of everyone's control.

I've been going to S.D. for about ten years now. First couple times I went with friends who had a place to stay, but we had to use our vehicles, gear, in town for food, contact farmers, pay them, and take our chances. It still winds up costing a pretty penny.
Then I started going with outfitters. Yes, a bit more expense, but everything is sooo much nicer! They do your food, they carry you out and back, furnish shooting benches, know where to go. You just need to look the outfitters up and see which one you think will meet your needs. Prices and services vary. There's a lot of them.

I've been going to S.D. for about ten years now. First couple times I went with friends who had a place to stay, but we had to use our vehicles, gear, in town for food, contact farmers, pay them, and take our chances. It still winds up costing a pretty penny.
Then I started going with outfitters. Yes, a bit more expense, but everything is sooo much nicer! They do your food, they carry you out and back, furnish shooting benches, know where to go. You just need to look the outfitters up and see which one you think will meet your needs. Prices and services vary. There's a lot of them.
This is absolutely true! I went in 2015 and 16 on public land in Wyoming. 1st year was great. I only had about 200rd of ammo. 1st time I ever went didn't kow what to expect...and I was flying. 2016...umm sucked! This year I took dad and we found a guide that was in the area we wanted to hunt and in our price range. Wow! Benches, food, property....it was awesome. And we booked an elk hunt with him next fall. No doubt I will be using a guide when I go back next time.
Scooter

I drove with the family to Mt Rushmore a couple years ago. Got on google and found some spots within an hour of where we were staying. Went out for a half day each day tried difference spots. Some were better than others, but I shot hundreds of dogs and had a rancher stop and ask me to hunt his land. Most spots were on National Grasslands, but you have to get a good map, there are closed areas that you can't hunt. You can do it for free if you are OK shooting 300-500 rounds a day. If you want 2K rounds per day, probably best to hire a guide.

Hey, I am new to the site but I manage a 150000 acre ranch just outside of Billings Montana. We have 149000 acres of prairie dogs. you can shoot all you want for FREE!!! shots from 10 yards to 1500. We welcome anyone who will kill these vermin. bring a truck load of ammo. Thanks for your help

Hey, I am new to the site but I manage a 150000 acre ranch just outside of Billings Montana. We have 149000 acres of prairie dogs. you can shoot all you want for FREE!!! shots from 10 yards to 1500. We welcome anyone who will kill these vermin. bring a truck load of ammo. Thanks for your help

Check your inbox. Thanks

I would love to come out with my son and do some shooting, please email me, and I will make it happen, thx.

Sent you a pm.

Went to SD twice 2011 and 2017 for Prairie Dog shoots. Stayed with a guide and had great shooting, both times. My opinion is that you get what you pay for. Only bad part about 2017, was almost stepping on a Rattle Snake on the way back from the shower, armed only with a towel and dirty clothes...

Good luck
Jerry

I would love to come out with my son and do some shooting, please email me, and I will make it happen, thx.
Hi, we can set up a time to get you out here whenever you want to. let me know what works for you

Went to SD twice 2011 and 2017 for Prairie Dog shoots. Stayed with a guide and had great shooting, both times. My opinion is that you get what you pay for. Only bad part about 2017, was almost stepping on a Rattle Snake on the way back from the shower, armed only with a towel and dirty clothes...

Good luck
Jerry
Well, if it makes you feel better you can pay me all you want to... We have tons of dogs here and they are a problem. We do not have 1 acre out of 150000 acres that is not covered with these vermin. I could not care either way if you come out or not. Just trying to offer some great shooting to people who can help us thin these dogs down