best spots to hunt prairie dogs

The first post was several years ago. We had so many issues with gates being left open and trash being left we had to shut it down to only friends and family. Sorry
Well that's unfortunate and I'm really sorry for your bad experience. That was extremely generous of you and saddens me people did this. Especially because SOME of us do really strive to be as clean, neat and respectful as possible. Thanks for the reply and have a nice weekend.

I was in CO the other day, on a work trip. I saw some prairie dogs hanging out, kinda put me in the mood. I'm still holding off until mid June, though I do agree, any time is a good time.

I've been doing fresh scouting on google earth, marking spots on the map. I'll keep loading a little ammo, one more scope to mount then sight in.

I have a good ammo supply but may have some new, younger shooters along. With that in mind, the more ammo the better.

I was in CO the other day, on a work trip. I saw some prairie dogs hanging out, kinda put me in the mood. I'm still holding off until mid June, though I do agree, any time is a good time.

I've been doing fresh scouting on google earth, marking spots on the map. I'll keep loading a little ammo, one more scope to mount then sight in.

I have a good ammo supply but may have some new, younger shooters along. With that in mind, the more ammo the better.
Ok I found a secret weapon guys. Check out onxhunt in Google play store. It's an interactive live time hunting map that literally shows you who owns what land. You can track where your at and how to get to state or BLM lands to hunt or recreate legally. I'm headed out between Roundup and billings today. Tons and tons of dog towns and now I know exactly where I can and cannot hunt them. Good hunting everyone!

Interesting this thread started four years ago.
I will advise on satallite maps, they may or may not help. You better check dates really well. Buddy thought he was going to save a bunch. He plotted out his coarse. Found one town in two days that was on his map, the rest were old, poisoned or yuccas that had been cut off or killed.

Today's optics if you will learn to use them with a good range finder, those days of 2K rounds a day should be over. Your number of hits on first shots should be way over and above from years ago.

We tore up a two acre town pretty bad last year. Started in close and worked our way out. Buddy that owns it said his dad was happy. They had guys try before, but they would drive right up to the town and spook them all. We stayed back about 200-250.
They are still way down from the plague. Guys say they are all over the place, I suspect they may have not seen big towns from years ago.

I've been using OnX in AZ for years. It's around $30 per year for 1 state or $100 per year for the entire US. Unfortunately, you can't just pick a handful of states to get, it's either 1 or all. I recently found that out getting ready for a P-Dog hunting trip in New Mexico a couple weeks ago. I upgraded to the "Elite" package but it was well worth it. There was some scattered private land where we were and it helped us stay out of trouble.

I have my 7 day trial with On X hunt now. I can see I'll be joining soon. Yes, I'd like more than one State, but may start there. It's much better than just using roads & maps(possibly old).

I've seen it before, where someone tries to claim 'ownership' of public access land.

rearding on-x----really check the blm and sate lands for hunting regs before you go--in some states, not all of them are open for hunting, also the lot lines are often a bit off--close, but not exact so beware of you see a nice spot just off of a lot line-- in CO, private is open year round, public is only open from around june to feb iirc

some people will put up fencing even though there is a small plot of blm on their lot, I'm not climbing any fence marked " private property- no trespassing or hunting" even if I know the "legal" lot lines--I'm not in the mood to get shot

We used the onX app this year to find a couple of new towns in SD. Also, it was a great help to make sure you were on the right land. You can see if you're on private, state, or BLM land. Just make sure you download the area and have a backup in case your phone konks out. We usually Mark our spots on a handheld GPS as a backup.

Also, I've always been told not to drive off of an obviously improved road on BLM land.

I know that this will soon be 2022. but I'm looking for a place to hunt prairie dogs in the spring of 2022. Is this Ranch still available for next year to hunt.

We used the onX app this year to find a couple of new towns in SD. Also, it was a great help to make sure you were on the right land. You can see if you're on private, state, or BLM land. Just make sure you download the area and have a backup in case your phone konks out. We usually Mark our spots on a handheld GPS as a backup.

Also, I've always been told not to drive off of an obviously improved road on BLM land.
Spot on with staying on the roads. I won't say improved, as some are just two tracks. Anyone one with a small bit of common sense should figure this out.
Hunted some BLM land last year. Some clowns from Arizona opened a gate and drove out into the middle of a large dogtown.

Cows walking on the pastures and prairie dogs mowing the grass down, does actually little damage that will come back.

Fools driving off the "beaten path" attracts more of the same mentality.
I have been witness to those outsiders that see a gate open and figure it's OK to just drive on in. If they have those thoughts on doors on houses where I live, they may well end up with knots on their head if not worse.

Folks need to have respect. When in doubt back out.
Oh and pick up your trash and any you may see. I mean what kinda clown can toss out trash when your in the middle of Gods country. Leave it better than ya found it.

Rant off gents.
Have a safe and Healthy Turkey day.

Recent Posts