Best spinning reel

yobuck

I could never be a guide! I have no patience! Guys that really fish are different it's more like sharing information? Hand a rookie a piece of Floro and tell him to tie it to the braid with a Uni to Uni ..and watch the looks you get.
Yeah but don’t forget if it was really hard to do, even the “PROS” couldn’t do it. Lol
I just don’t think spinning reels were designed with big fish especially the likes of very large Tuna in mind and especially when trolling.
Mind you I’m not saying it cant be done because I know it is.
But not without an experienced crew with a proper boat.
What’s the point anyway?

Onstep

LRH Team Member
The best heavy duty spinning setups are either the Twinpower or Stella Shimano. Everything else either needs to modified to keep up or will fail well before either of these give up. This goes for Bluefin popper fishing to deep drop GTs.

Capt RB

The best heavy duty spinning setups are either the Twinpower or Stella Shimano. Everything else either needs to modified to keep up or will fail well before either of these give up. This goes for Bluefin popper fishing to deep drop GTs.
Most local to me are moving away from the Stella in the bluefin popping fishery and moving to the dogfight or VS.
This is the dogfight on a ghosthunter(broken in the pic). The angler was a HS student of a good friend I fish with. Most rec guys do at some point get stellas. However the best popping charters here are using the VS and dogfight. This was off Chatham Ma if you know Bluefin popping you'd know the name of the town
1582717108128.png
:cool:

Onstep

LRH Team Member
Yep I know the area and the primary reason the charters are using that gear isn’t the performance. It’s the deal on the purchase up front. That's all good it’s a biz and aren’t getting rich out there.

Capt RB

Yep I know the area and the primary reason the charters are using that gear isn’t the performance. It’s the deal on the purchase up front. That's all good it’s a biz and aren’t getting rich out there.
Actually, it is. The reason why dogfights and Van Stahl are players is that they seem to last longer in this fishery. I've used all of the above and a few that are not mentioned. Some not yet available to the public. Stellas are a great pkg for a rec guy or a modest charter operation. Day in day out other options have merit for a reason. To qualify my opinion. I've been commercial fishing out of Chatham since 1974 and casting to bluefin since 1977. Many of the "new" crap you read about we were doing in the 70's and 80's. Since it was before google was born those methods were not widely known to the masses. Jigging was done differently with the equipment used but was alot less taxing on the angler back then.

Muddyboots

26Reload: Just sold a perfect C4 with American Classic machined aluminum spool that I had as an extra! I still have some left that have held up since I bought them new in 80's. Best steelhead reel I have used and have held up under every imaginable condition. I still have a C4X which has high speed retrieve for a thousand casts is great.

Greyfox

My Van Staal has see several years of rocks, sand, and salt...and continues to work flawlessly.
8C5FB125-43B9-4CB4-8343-6AD9AA407906.jpeg

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce